Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any experience of these?

MoJoKe

I have a jazz bass which is not worth a J-retro or similar, but I'd like to put a preamp in it, without needing to chop wood!

Has anyone seen/tried these...

[url="http://guitarfuel.com/SBK-2A_Preamp_EQ_Harness.php"]http://guitarfuel.com/SBK-2A_Preamp_EQ_Harness.php[/url]

I said it in a PM to ead... but look at the Eq points.
Same as a 2 band points as warwick/MEC - so lots of mids in both the highs and lows boosts. Not nesserally a bad thing depending on the bass... but I personally would want to hear that EQ in a fender type bass first....
get garageband open and use the graphic eq to boost high and low in those points and you'll hear what it sounds like

I just messaged them asking:-
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hi, if fitted to a standard Jazz bass, is there room to put the battery in under the control plate without need for further routing?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Received answer:-[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]We have a lot of customers install the SBK-2A in their jazz bass models however we suggest you remove your pickguard and fit a 9V battery to be sure.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Not quite sure if it answered my question.....[/size][/font][/color]

I guess they're saying if you can't fit one in there comfortably without the pre-amp, you've got no chance of doing it once its fitted. There's so many little variations in jazz-style bodies, the rout for the controls won't always be the same depth, have to see how you get on with shoving a Duracell under your current control plate!

It's a tough question to answer - not all jazz bass cavities are the same dimensions, even Fender ones varied by year of manufacture. Looking at the circuit dimensions i think you'll be ok, but they're not going to say that!

I fitted one of these to a Hohner B Bass V when the original pre went AWOL. It was pretty much indistinguishable from the original. That probably doesn't tell you too much.

No probs - the original in the B was contained in half of an 18V battery box, so I replaced it with a full 18V box & ran it souped up. Worked just fine.

G.