Why become a member? ×

thinkin respraying headstock

Kev

as title says really

i think the basses colour is candy red, but not definate

How would i go about finishin the headstock in the same colour? would i have to sand down first, or could i just spray over and laquer again?

not sure if im gunna do it, as its an expensive neck to f*** up, but just interested

if anyone would be prepared to do this for me actually, id be interested in how much you would charge :)

Contact the best in the biz, Martin Sims at the SimS Custom Shop - www.simscustom.com

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='BassManKev' post='187722' date='Apr 29 2008, 12:16 AM']as title says really

How would i go about finishin the headstock in the same colour? would i have to sand down first, or could i just spray over and laquer again?

not sure if im gunna do it, as its an expensive neck to f*** up, but just interested

if anyone would be prepared to do this for me actually, id be interested in how much you would charge :)[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='187722' date='Apr 29 2008, 12:16 AM']as title says really

if anyone would be prepared to do this for me actually, id be interested in how much you would charge :)[/quote]

Well, to answer your original questions:

I would definitely sand down first. I would also take this opportunity to fill any dings if an opaque colour is going on.

Then you mask the sides of the headstock, and also mask the edge of the fingerboard where it meets the headstock. What I do after that is to wrap a piece of A4 paper around the neck, tape the paper together, then tape it to the masking tape at the top of the fingerboard.

Candy Apple Red (which I presume you're talking about - a sparkly, metallic red?) can be made up as follows:

White primer
Silver sparkly metallic lacquer
Translucent red lacquer (the amount of coats determines the final colour, that's where the colour matching comes in)
Clear gloss topcoat

Hi Kev have you ever used spraying equipment before? Base coat, gold, colour, lacquer, total 12 coats with flattening in between. If you feel confident in your abilities why not have a couple of pracice attempts on a mock up. But remember, if you don't get an exact match it's gonna look terrible and will ruin the whole look of your bass. I'd guess about £100-150.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='189125' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:03 PM']i was quoted £96, which in think is ridiculous for a bit of sanding and paint, so theres no way im payin that

any other recomendations?[/quote]

It's more than "a bit of sanding and paint" - a lot of work, not only that but there's a lot of time involved.

It's going to cost you as much to do it yourself: have you got lacquer? got a mask? got somewhere safe to work? got somewhere to put the thing while it's drying? Not to mention your time, that's worth something too.

If you consider a standard setup can cost £50 then £96 for the amount of work involved I think is a very good deal. It's by no means an easy job to get the colour matched correctly and and least you'll know it's been done properly.

£96 thats less then I would have expected, I used to paint motorcycles and was always amazed at the lack of understanding of the work involved in even a so called easy job ,by people bringing there bikes in. Once explained and demonstrated the penny would usally drop its not easy, takes skill to do a good job, but takes ** all effort to do a poor cheap one which would you prefer?

A lot of time and effort goes into refinishing, even on a small part such as the headstock. The fact that it's a metallic colour makes colour matching even harder. With Sims you'll be paying for a top quality job too, and paying someone for their skill, which is a skill you don't have, not to mention the tools and workshop that again, I'm guessing you don't have. As they say, a good job isn't cheap, and a cheap job isn't good.