Why become a member? ×

Quick Question

scalpy

When turning up to rehearsal on Friday I heard the guitarist making some noises right in my sonic territory! It transpires he had got his hands on a Danelectro Baritone Guitar strung right down to bottom E. He wanted to have a go at putting through my amp, which I must admit I wasn't happy about and declined.

I've always been cautious about running any other source through my bass amps. Is there any technical reason for me to be touchy about guitars or drum machines etc being put through bass cabinets in particular? I'm guessing it wouldn't damage a amp to run other frequencies through it it's the speakers I worry about. There will probably be technical reasons why it wouldn't sound fantastic it's the potential for ripped cones etc that causes the concern.

The sticky point on Friday was that the guitarist has let me rag his Les Paul through his all original 58 Tweed Bassman, something it wasn't originally designed for either!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1344768846' post='1768849']

The sticky point on Friday was that the guitarist has let me rag his Les Paul through his all original 58 Tweed Bassman, something it wasn't originally designed for either!
[/quote]But at least it works well with guitar, never really did with bass. ;)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1344775726' post='1768963']
I must say. That kind of overprotective attitude towards your gear would make me fume. I bet he thinks your a right so and so.
[/quote]

Over protective I may be but my gear helps me supplement my income substantially, so I'm very cautious about how I use it. Mortgage and impending marriage means I'm having to supplement my income a lot as well!

Thank you to everyone else for the advice- baritone guitar through bass amp will be experimented with at next rehearsal.

Edited by scalpy