Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a gig bag with full length shoulder strap

dave_bass5

Ive been using an old, and very un padded, Levys gig bag for the past 6-7 years but i think i need a new one.
I know there are many very good bags around but it has to have a full length shoulder strap, so when its on one shoulder the top sits around head height.
I definitely do not want to wear it like a rucksack nor have it sticking out above my head by a few feet etc.

I used to have a angular EBMM bag that had a strap that covered the whole of the back, that was ideal although because of its shape i felt it was a bit too bulky.

Money is a consideration but im willing to pay for something nice.

For what its worth the Levys bag has served me very well throughout my 7 year GAS period, all my basses have travelled up and down the country in it (one at a time, obviously :) and while i know a lot of you need to have fully padded bag's its something that ive never really needed so a lot of padding isnt a priority. In fact the slimmer the better.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1344609266' post='1767112']
Ive been using an old, and very un padded, Levys gig bag for the past 6-7 years but i think i need a new one.
I know there are many very good bags around but it has to have a full length shoulder strap, so when its on one shoulder the top sits around head height.
I definitely do not want to wear it like a rucksack nor have it sticking out above my head by a few feet etc.

I used to have a angular EBMM bag that had a strap that covered the whole of the back, that was ideal although because of its shape i felt it was a bit too bulky.

Money is a consideration but im willing to pay for something nice.

For what its worth the Levys bag has served me very well throughout my 7 year GAS period, all my basses have travelled up and down the country in it (one at a time, obviously :) and while i know a lot of you need to have fully padded bag's its something that ive never really needed so a lot of padding isnt a priority. In fact the slimmer the better.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

Maybe a picture of what you are trying to replace? With you wearing it would probably be most useful

Cheers guys.

BRX. like i said, ive been travelling with a bag like this for 7 years, it works fine, trust me. Having the bag on one shoulder results in the bass hanging down the side of the body, not the back. I normally have a rucksack on the same shoulder as well. It just makes life easier for using the tube/trains as it means i always have two free hands.

Chairc, good idea. ill try and sort it out tonight.

Basically the strap is attached behind the headstock and runs all the way to the bottom of the bag. Now i know in theory this might not be ideal for transporting a bass in the upright position but after having about 8-9 basses in this bag over the years i know it works fine.
For what its worth the bag came with my HW-1 bass but Fender have changed the free gig bags.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Mono M80 gig bag and I was very sceptical about how good it was going to be for the money. Its amazing, my favourite bit of kit/gear and I have only had it a day.

I took it to practice last night and have the same issue as you, I didnt want to have too much poking out the top of my head. the straps are super comfy and pretty long. The head does poke out a bit but on the whole its very good and I dont have the strap fully extended yet. It sits nicely on the side of the body and feels quite compact considdering how padded and secure it is.

Definately one to look at IMO.

Sorry to hijack but I had no idea such a thing existed, I have always had my bag up on my back, as it wouldn't go any lower without hanging on the back of my knees. I have many times bounced back on to the platform as my bass denied me access to a tube when running late.
A long side hanging bag sounds ****ing perfect for my needs, will follow this with interest.
:)

Thanks NJE, ill look in to those. i have heard of them before but each time ive looked at the pics on line ive not been able to figure out how low it sits.

I had forgotten about this thread so apologies for not getting any pics up yet. ill do it this weekend. For what it worth i checked my bag and although i said the strap runs all the way to to the top it doesn't, it stops about where the headstock starts.

Dave, im with you on the bouncing back bit, thats why ive always used this case not matter how much the bass is worth (and as ive said, ive had absolutely no issues with basses getting damaged).

I use the bass version of this: [url="http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/bass/cases/rockbag-deluxe-electric-guitar-gig-bag"]http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/bass/cases/rockbag-deluxe-electric-guitar-gig-bag[/url]

If you look at the front + back image, it has a full length removable strap - might be what you're looking for.

Pretty nice bag - well padded. However, mine does strike me as being a little on the short side. Probably perfect for a Precision, but my Jazz is a little bit of a squeeze, and it takes quite some work to get my Iceman into it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1346171471' post='1786092']
Thanks Dr M. Ive had one and while it did indeed hang low it was quite painful to wear, as the metal clasp sits right on the shoulder bone.
[/quote]

Ah, fair enough. I use the rucksack style straps, so that's not a problem I've ever encountered.