Why become a member? ×

Stranglers Bass Effects?

Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1344284605' post='1762329']
I vaguely remember an interview where he said he karate chopped it into pieces by accident, although I might have made that up.
[/quote]

I believe it was broken when the band's equipment was attacked by the Raggare (Rockabilly types who didn't like punk) in Sweden. It was repaired-his Shuker is based on the best bits of that one and his black Precision, I'm fairly sure it still exists. He broke his Yamaha when he thumped it, as he still does with his Shuker, but that was built to take it!

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1344336398' post='1762887']
I believe it was broken when the band's equipment was attacked by the Raggare (Rockabilly types who didn't like punk) in Sweden. It was repaired-his Shuker is based on the best bits of that one and his black Precision, I'm fairly sure it still exists. He broke his Yamaha when he thumped it, as he still does with his Shuker, but that was built to take it!
[/quote]

Must have been the Yamaha I read about. Glad to see my mind isn't playing tricks on me. Yet....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this has been done before several times, here's one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/107133-the-jj-burnel-sound-early-stranglers/page__hl__stranglers"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/107133-the-jj-burnel-sound-early-stranglers/page__hl__stranglers[/url]
has anybody heard him getting THE sound live? always sounded too trebley to me compared to the 1st album

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1351172441' post='1848213']
this has been done before several times, here's one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/107133-the-jj-burnel-sound-early-stranglers/page__hl__stranglers"]http://basschat.co.u..._hl__stranglers[/url]
has anybody heard him getting THE sound live? always sounded too trebley to me compared to the 1st album
[/quote]

Lack of studio compression.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1351157334' post='1847949']
Been practising a stranglers song the last few nights, and through my pf 500 with headphones it sounds very authentic (p bass almost full treble and pick) but I imagine when I go to the band run through with a cab it wont sound as good.
[/quote] which song lojo?

Shoved my grade 3 aside , got the TAB for Peaches and mucked about for an hour..it sounded ok with the trebble rolled off, bass boost, full compression and full overdrive.... Problem was I couldn't count the riff repetitions.... How do you manage that, my mind wondered every now and again, forgot which rep I was in , and then missed the next type of riff :-(. Didn't get it right to the end once but it was about 5 minutes of riff reps :-0

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344267610' post='1761967']
Some bloke said I made Tainted Love sound like Peaches. I bought him a pint.
[/quote]

That's strange, I had the opposite thing happen. Some bloke said that I made Peaches sound like Tainted love. So i hit him with my pint.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1351429262' post='1851061']
Peaches is a tricky one, I had to learn the lyrics to know when to change from the verse to the chorus. Fair play to lojo, WoB's bloody tricky during the solo...can never get those runs quite right.
[/quote]yea that is a bugger that one, fantastic song tho

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1351406665' post='1850803']
Walk on by
[/quote]

Yeah. That's a cool song. We do that and I get a great sound from my SR505 with Bass and Mid all the way down and the gain all the way up on the Bass Terror. Barefaced with fully functional cone. I'm still working on the bass solo bit in the middle but it's a great track.