Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz opinions

skej21

The Streamliner 900 sold me onto the whole Genz lineup. Its simple, sounds like a proper rock n roll amp, (although it can be clean ALL the way up if you wish) and the controls don't have one 'harsh' tone to them no matter what you do.

I'd describe it as a loud, clean or dirty, tubey, warm and smooth amp. You can dial in some nice mids, so the whole Talkbass debacle about lack of mids is daft. Plenty of amps have slight mid cut set at 12 o'clock...thats what the EQ is there for. Turn the mid to 1, dial the bass back to 10, and boom, virtually flat. The GK amps have the same kinda 'slight mid dip' when all controls are at 12.

I then realised I wanted a Shuttlemax 9.2, and I was luck enough to find a basschatter (contrary to my other topic) who was struggling to sell it and had problems with it on ebay. God knows why. THis amp is absolutely superb and so versatile its unreal. Beware, the FET channel, although glassy and super super clean, is VERY pristine, and has zero colour. Some like that, some don't. The tube channel warms things up nicely, and the blend is not just a gimmick as you can max out the tube side and get it gritty, then mix it with a flat setting on the fet channel and it brings clarity to the bottom end.

Both very well made, very light, and reasonably priced for what they do. More volume than I'd ever need, but its there. If I ever get an 8x10 as a backline I will be taking the Streamliner to really juice it up.

Cab wise, I think the Neo X212T must be there most popular cab. Light, neo speakers, properly engineered cabinet. Even the speaker guru's give this cab a good review. I want one but at the moment don't really need it!

So, just to clarify:
The streamliner goes tubey warm & very clean too, and also has good mids ( I hate that scooped mid sound with a passion).
It's easily portable, loud as f*** & a very reasonable price.

If this is correct it sounds just the job. :)

The key with the Streamliner is that its quite opposite EQ wise to the Shuttles. The Shuttle's EQ is much more 'in your face' and like a mixing console, whereas the Streamliner is more like a traditional bass/guitar amp, and the amount of gain you have has a big impact on the mids. The whole EQ is very interactive.

I totally love low mids, and with a Stingray (which some would say is a little scooped) I leave the onboard eq pretty much without any changes, then roll the bass to 10, and mids to 1/2, on the actual amp.

Genz have said they aimed to get the tone of a high end valve pre that you might record with, and with headphones in the back of the unit, you can definitely see where they are coming from. The treble can be as crisp or as subtle as you like. The treble control is more like a Fender passive tone knob.

Its a cool amp. Not for everyone, but then again, what is. It is a total total brute with volume and sheer heft though. Pair it with something like an Aguilar DB112 which has a mid bump, and the amp sounds fantastic.

Thanks for all the input guys! A great helps as always.

Quick update for anyone who is interested. I got the shuttle 6.2-210T combo in the end, making it fully clear that I wanted to spend a bit of time with it before making any decisions. I spent a few hours with it and couldn't really get on with it. The power was great but I couldn't find the same tone that I like from my existing set up (mainly due to the lower mids, I think)...

Next day I had a bit of a mix and match session. Tried the Genz head with my Aggy cab, a mate's Mark Bass cab and an old peavey cab I'm holding for another friend. Swapped a number of heads into the Genz cab too and couldn't get it right, even putting my Tonehammer in line to the Genz Benz head to see if that would help.

Ended up settling for MY rig over the Genz Benz and being happy again.

The Genz Benz gear was amazing and I wouldn't want to put anyone off. Size, weight, power and (if it's your cup of tea) the EQ will be perfect for someone but they were just not for me.

They have since been collected and returned to be passed on to a more loving (and probably worthy!) home.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1344527880' post='1766034']
Sounds like you should of tried the Streamliner then :lol:
[/quote]

Maybe lol. I'm pretty sure it's not for me though. Shame really, as it would have been nice to have the deal but Im not one for using gear that isn't suited to me.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1344531497' post='1766120']
Maybe lol. I'm pretty sure it's not for me though. Shame really, as it would have been nice to have the deal but Im not one for using gear that isn't suited to me.
[/quote]The Streamliners are VERY different to the Shuttles so I wouldn't dismiss it without trying

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1344536873' post='1766221']
The Streamliners are VERY different to the Shuttles so I wouldn't dismiss it without trying
[/quote]

Maybe so, but as part of the deal I'd have to use both the GB head and the cabs. I was equally unhappy with the cabs as the head, so I'll be kindly refusing.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1344577054' post='1766579']
Fair enough
[/quote]

It's completely up to you - if there's interest in an endorsement, I think you'd be better to check their cabs with a streamliner - ask about the uber ones too - then you could walk away with all the info. It'd be a real sickener to find out you really liked the other gear later on.

If it's too much time and you love your rig - rock on. If it's someone else's time it can't hurt to explore a little more...

• 6 months later...

Currently I have the genz Benz stl 3.0 combo. Even when I add a 2x10 cab, it does not seem loud enough. I need it only to be backline as the band goes through FOH.
I gave given some thought to upgrading to the 6.2 I may need some grit for rockbsongs, but also play dance and funk, usual function stuff.

I Woyld appreciate any thoughts on the difference in the sounds of the heads. Earlier in the thread it is suggested that the great sound of the 3.0 FET can only be found in the 9.0 or 9.2. What does the clean channel on the 6.2 sound in comparison? Thanks in advance.

My streamliner 600 gives me that crisp clear modern sound with that cozy warm valve feel. i used it in Deep Purple tribute band with Bergantino HT322 cab.
This gave me that old valve sound reminiscent of the old Orange sound i had many moons ago.
Highly recommended IMO.

Dave

Hi mate, the fet can only be had on the 3.0 that you have or the max heads which I have purchased actually since this thread last cropped up! What are you running then a 1x8 and a 2x10? There should be no problem with the head, I have used my 3.0 through my 2x12T and i is not that far behind the 6.0, the 9.2 Max is another beast alltogether :)