Why become a member? ×

small rant about auditions

thunderbird13

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343247367' post='1747816']
Distance=cost. And cost is not "No object". Discreet mentioned an 80mile round-trip for rehearsal. Even in my car, that's almost £15 in fuel, plus (notionally) £10 in rehearsal fees...[/quote]

I probably should have mentioned that this was a working function band. My considerable fuel and rehearsal costs were taken care of. Otherwise there is no way I would have considered it. My current band offer no such arrangement, but are much closer! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343247367' post='1747816']
Distance=cost.
And cost is not "No object".
Discreet mentioned an 80mile round-trip for rehearsal. Even in my car, that's almost £15 in fuel, plus (notionally) £10 in rehearsal fees, and a couple of quid in snacks/beverages.

£1404 per annum for no return explains why I'll be staying in my bedroom, thanks.
(Not to mention 350 hours or so of my life I'll never get back every year)
[/quote]

Yes, but it's up to each musician to decide whether or not the time and money involved getting to rehearsals (and gigs) is worth it. In your case obviously not. But for the right band it could well be. Hence the drummer who drove from Coventry twice a week - his replacement lived in North Notts which was still a 50-60 mile round trip.

The drummer in my current band was involved in a project with some reasonably well-known musicians. For this he would drive from Nottingham to Newcastle every Monday morning, rehearse all day during the week and then drive back on Friday night after that day's practice had finished. Sounds like a lot of effort, but for him at the time it was worth it.

Personally I've opted for the band I'm forming to be as local as possible as with this particular band I really want to be able to up the "social" aspect as well as being able to pop over each others for if you have an idea :)

I've been lucky this week, found a drummer who seems psyched as he's been out of playing for a while and the next day he found a guitarist :D

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1343250580' post='1747907']
So I leave, they start rehearsing in sensible places and they brought back Sledgehammer!
Well done Dave, you're definitely smacking them into line. :)
[/quote]

Ha! Not totally mate as we've had a couple of hiccups lately with missed gigs/rehearsals - am very hopeful that Sundays efforts will bear fruit though!

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1343303305' post='1748535']
Ha! Not totally mate as we've had a couple of hiccups lately with missed gigs/rehearsals - am very hopeful that Sundays efforts will bear fruit though!
[/quote]

Excellent, don't let them bully you into Lionel Richie... ;)