Why become a member? ×

Bass POD as Preamp ? ?

Stompbox

Yup

that is one of the reasons they were invented.

I gigged a rack mount POD for years - into a Yamaha P5000S power amp and a couple of Hartke cabs. It was excellent.

You just need a decent PA amp with a flat response. The POD will do all the sound shaping, the power amp just makes it loud enough.

The rack mount Bass Pod Pro XT allows you to mix in unaffected sound too, and the X3 allows 2 completely separate signal paths so you can use any drives / FX you like on 1 side while keeping the low end on the other.

The REALLY important thing is to bin the presets and make your sounds from scratch - and create them at gig volume.

It was an excellent set up and perfect for the semi-pro covers band I was in.

I use an X3 Live into a W-Audio 1U digital power amp and it's a great setup that at the moment I set and forget, but if my tastes change in future I've got an arsenal of amps and sounds to choose from. Definitely recommended.

Yup, bin the presets annnnnnd make sure that you had the unit set up for running in to a power amp. There's a setting in one of the utility menus to specify what you are connecting the POD too, which changes all the amp sims to suit.

Infact, I'd go as far as to say spend some time with the manual. It's actually pretty helpful because there's a lot of things going on under the bonnet lol!

I have used a Bass Pod Pro and also the X3 for a number of years running straight in to a power amp too. Set up properly, it can sound great. Set up badly and it can sound muffled and indistinct!

[quote name='peted' timestamp='1343153748' post='1746259']
I use an X3 Live into a W-Audio 1U digital power amp and it's a great setup that at the moment I set and forget, but if my tastes change in future I've got an arsenal of amps and sounds to choose from. Definitely recommended.
[/quote]

My tastes seem to change on a regular basis... Oh deary me, why did i get rid of my X3 lol!

Careful which power amp you use. I used a Bass Pod Pro into a QSC RMX850 for a while and the output of the BPP wasn't enough to drive the QSC with authority.
There's something to be said for the matched impedance of a traditional head IMO :ph34r:

Also if you use lots of FX, they don't sound great IMHO going into the front end of a POD (Not enough dynamic reaction) I also had an issue with the output of the BPP powering a Mesa Strategy 400, shame because it's so cool to have a 2u rack with all your sounds, tune and fx in it and you can run it with pretty much any amp combination.

It's certainly something I've reconsidered since I went to IEMs, but my rig just sounds soooooooo good, even through headphones