Why become a member? ×

Getting rid of tab ?

BassMan94

COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...COCA COLA... YOU WILL DRINK ONLY COCA COLA...

(This message was brought to you by LOCOG.)

Ronaldinho (remember him?) obviously didn't get that e-mail, Ras:

[url="http://www.beveragedaily.com/Markets/Pepsi-blunder-costs-Brazil-soccer-star-Ronaldinho-Coke-millions"]http://www.beveragedaily.com/Markets/Pepsi-blunder-costs-Brazil-soccer-star-Ronaldinho-Coke-millions[/url]

You can buy........................................ yes I did say buy music books. These will not contain TaB if you get the right ones. Don't think you can download notation copies from the WeB, I have only ever found TaB.
I think a visit to a music publishers is perhaps what you need.

Ta very glad
BIGd

Coming from a classical music background where 'tab' wouldn't be looked down on only because it would be *so* low it wouldn't even register, I can honestly say that tab most definitely has its place. Tab+notation is a great way to learn a new piece - 'classical' notation has no fingering information, which for a newbie is very important. Ditch the snobbery I say and use what works. I bet no-one starts interviews with Victor Wooten with the question 'so, do you use tab or not?' :)

I think I am right in saying, Tab has been around almost as long as notation. It was used for Lute music, I think it was Lute anyhow.
Personally I have never thought one way is better than the other. I am a classicly trained brass player, so I could read notation long before I was able to use Tab.
Both ways work, both have good and bad points. The GOOD thing is both methods get people playing musical instrumeants. Now that deffenetly is a great thing.

To stop reading the Tab along the bottom ot printed music, stick electrical tape across the bottom half of the lenses in a pair of glasses. Like bi-focals............................................................................. [u][b]Problem solved[/b][/u].
I've been thinking about this problem all afternoon and evening. If you put your mind to it you can find an answer to owt !!

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343247402' post='1747817']
Coming from a classical music background where 'tab' wouldn't be looked down on only because it would be *so* low it wouldn't even register, I can honestly say that tab most definitely has its place. Tab+notation is a great way to learn a new piece - 'classical' notation has no fingering information, which for a newbie is very important. Ditch the snobbery I say and use what works. I bet no-one starts interviews with Victor Wooten with the question 'so, do you use tab or not?' :)
[/quote]

But isn't the point about notation without fingering, that you get to work it out for yourself, and experiment with various options? That way you learn more. TAB stops you thinking!

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1343299724' post='1748450']
But isn't the point about notation without fingering, that you get to work it out for yourself, and experiment with various options? That way you learn more. TAB stops you thinking!
[/quote]
+1, this, etc.

I dunno , as a newbie TAB helps me work out if a third or fifth is being used or used in conjunction with fingering positions what scale is being used ...... But in the last few days I've been working out what notes they are as well..... So I started with just TAB, then TAB plus type of note, shape of notes, timing of notes from the score, and now TAB plus naming the notes...... Maybe in the future I can play automatically just from the score and understand the note name, why and how it's used.... I hope so... On the other hand I might just slap and pop everything in sight or just play straight sixteenth notes... I bet that's done before :-D

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1343236852' post='1747588']
I wonder if tab (spit) has become popular simply because you can use ASCII characters to represent it. You can't do that with proper notation, regardless of how much superior it might be.
[/quote]

Of course, and that would in and of itself make tab (spit) superior to notation (spit, cough, splutter, buggeritall) for communication in a limited digital format. Which is the point of each method - to communicate a musical sequence. Btw I think the other side of the coin is there are loads of poor tabs (done right it can contain as much information as notation but this is rarely so) because any sod with a computer keyboard can tab things out with notepad. The barrier to entry with musical notation is much higher, so you tend to get better quality transcriptions as the person knows more about what they're doing in the first place.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1343299724' post='1748450']
[/quote]

Speaking from a classically trained point of view, the point of notation is to tell a person what to play. Notation is hands down the most effective way to do this for most orchestral instruments, where there is usually one way to play a given note (I say usually because some instruments e.g. saxophone can have different fingerings for the same note, especially in the altissimo register).

In fact, a friend who did her grade 8 piano told me she could play complex music because she couldn't play by ear, so didn't listen/think about what she was playing. She just translated the piece from page to sound. Her colleagues who could play by ear tripped up because they thought about the piece while they were playing it.

If I was composing a score that included a bass guitar, and I wanted him to play an E at the 12th fret of the E string (because I found it rounder/mellower than the less bassy 2nd fret on the D string sound), I would need to include some fingering information (of course notation has an extension that can deal with this or a tab can be placed alongside). Of course, the composer/conductor may have no preference, as it has minimal impact on the piece, and the bass player can choose what they think is easiest/sounds best. But the point is to communicate the piece to the player, not give them food for thought. This is just an occasional bonus :)

Edited by Commando Jack

If I sit down to play a page of notation, I don't need to know the piece I am playing. The note names, length, timing, tempo etc is all on the music, it can be played as is.
With Tab you need to know the music to be able to play it, you probably need a recording to get timings etc.
If you put a sheet of notation in front of me, even a new never played before item of music, I can play it. You can't do this with a copy of Tab.

[quote name='BassMan94' timestamp='1343382008' post='1749766']
What the flip, I just wanted a quick fix for the tab underneath a PDF and come back to this ! :o :lol:
[/quote]

Standard fare, chief. Nice big slice of the same old argument :lol:

But yeah, get down Boots for a cheap pair of reading glasses. Put some tape or permanent marker over the bottom halves. Job done! You'll not only be able to avoid seeing tab - but you'll also be unable to see your penis; will have no idea where the pavement is; and be able to trip over small children and dogs.

Sounds like a winner to me.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343382421' post='1749775']
...You'll not only be able to avoid seeing tab - but you'll also be unable to see your penis; will have no idea where the pavement is; and [s]be able to trip over[/s] [b]have an excuse to kick [/b]small children and dogs.

Sounds like a winner to me.
[/quote]

Fixed!