Why become a member? ×

NBD: Lakland Skyline 55-01

dc2009

Traded it with a bloke for my Epi TB Pro-V. I've fired her up and got to say she is lovely, apart from a slight issue with the neck pickup (which I'll sort at some point).

The previous owner commissioned the custom pickguard you see on it in the photos. I think it compliments it rather nicely, and being as it's only held on (though seemingly very securely) with double sided sticky tape, there is the option to not have it there.

It plays beautifully and is in remarkable condition for one of the first of the Korean factory runs (2001), I really like the sound, though new pups may just give it a bit more oomph (that said I've not tried it through my Sansamp yet so that may help).

I saw a thing on youtube of a guy who had fitted his with Nordstrands and an Audere and it sounded great, which I may well do down the line.

Dan

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1342982313' post='1743425']
Congratulations matey! I loved my 55-01 while I had it
[/quote]
+1 on that. Great basses. 1 too many strings on yours :P but i'd love to get the 4 string, maple neck version. Incredible range of tones.

Dude - gorgeous! The scratchplate is a v nice touch I think. And it's defo an EARLY Korean cos it's got the skinny tuners which (IIRC) were only fitted in the first few months of the Skyline series - my now departed 55-02 (Oh Christina, she never writes, never calls... :blush:) I bought new sometime in 2002 and it already had the cloverleaf tuners (IMHO they look better - they were Hipshot Ultralights if you ever fancy the change - it makes them look more like the US Laklands if you like that kinda thang B) )

Edited by sime17

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1342993668' post='1743684']
Dude - gorgeous! The scratchplate is a v nice touch I think. And it's defo an EARLY Korean cos it's got the skinny tuners which (IIRC) were only fitted in the first few months of the Skyline series - my now departed 55-02 (Oh Christina, she never writes, never calls... :blush:) I bought new sometime in 2002 and it already had the cloverleaf tuners (IMHO they look better - they were Hipshot Ultralights if you ever fancy the change - it makes them look more like the US Laklands if you like that kinda thang B) )
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, fella. In my experience I actually prefer non-clover leaf tuners just for not going out of tune in cases and gig bags and just for general tuning up and down and things. That said, I prefer them aesthetically, so perhaps I'll make the switch at some point, though an Audere probably comes before new tuners in the pecking order.

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1342993668' post='1743684']
[/quote]

She sends her love :-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1343122126' post='1745446']
Gorgeous looking bass.

My first ever encounter with Lakland was a 55-01, although mine was just boring black. Loved it though, i will own another one day (maybe a 55-02 though).

Enjoy it, its one of the best budget 5 strings out there IMO.
[/quote]

+1

I love my 55-02 (natural/maple), love my 55-01, it was such a lovely blueburst colour!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1343122126' post='1745446']
Gorgeous looking bass.

My first ever encounter with Lakland was a 55-01, although mine was just boring black. Loved it though, i will own another one day (maybe a 55-02 though).

Enjoy it, its one of the best budget 5 strings out there IMO.
[/quote]

And then it was mine! They are a great 5 string period. One of the best I'd tried until my Dingwall, and one of the comfiest necks there is. Good score!

Cheers for the comments guys, hadn't realised these basses got so much love around here. And that blueburst one sounds stunning andydye.

What are your thoughts on modding this beauty? I mean it sits, looks and plays so lovely/well, I feel that a small amount of outlay would make this a really top drawer bass.

That said, it's already making me rethink my view of the five string market after only a few hours of playtime, I mean, I used to think you couldn't get much more solid than a Yamaha (in terms of guaranteed quality for the price), but I got this for a lot less than a lot of TRB's and higher end BB's and I've got to say it blows them right out of the water.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1343122709' post='1745461']
She sends her love :-)
[/quote]

Mr Richard that's made my day - week even :) - and hello to you and a non-gay love to Keef (if you see him) while we're at it. (Sorry everyone - is this becoming a "should have pm'd" hijack?)