Why become a member? ×

Buying used and paying new prices

niceguyhomer

Been pondering over this for a while now - I've recently been trawling around the shops looking for a new amp and I've been a bit shocked about the state of some stuff I've been offered in some well known stores.

I was trying to find somewhere that had examples of a few I was interested so I could AB 'em. First store I went in - didn't have the stock they advertised on their ebay store (I know, I should have rang first) and so they offered me a battered and I mean battered LMII which was nestling amongst the Boss pedals out of its box.

I told the guy I've had one of those before and after a full year's use and about 75 gigs, it was in better condition than the piece of sh*t he was trying to sell me so go and find the vaseline now.

I went to another store and a similar situation arose but he had stock of the gear I wanted to try. I didn't buy the amp I really wanted because it was well used and I wasn't gonna pay full whack on what I consider to be used gear. He didn't have another in stock so - four hours to go before the gig and no amp, I bought exhibit B cos it was brand new and hadn't been out of the box.

I mean -you wouldn't buy a new car that was scratched to f*ck would you or am I too anal?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='185741' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:21 AM']Been pondering over this for a while now - I've recently been trawling around the shops looking for a new amp and I've been a bit shocked about the state of some stuff I've been offered in some well known stores.

I was trying to find somewhere that had examples of a few I was interested so I could AB 'em. First store I went in - didn't have the stock they advertised on their ebay store (I know, I should have rang first) and so they offered me a battered and I mean battered LMII which was nestling amongst the Boss pedals out of its box.

I told the guy I've had one of those before and after a full year's use and about 75 gigs, it was in better condition than the piece of sh*t he was trying to sell me so go and find the vaseline now.

I went to another store and a similar situation arose but he had stock of the gear I wanted to try. I didn't buy the amp I really wanted because it was well used and I wasn't gonna pay full whack on what I consider to be used gear. He didn't have another in stock so - four hours to go before the gig and no amp, I bought exhibit B cos it was brand new and hadn't been out of the box.

I mean -you wouldn't buy a new car that was scratched to f*ck would you or am I too anal?[/quote]

I agree with this. I work at the bass merchant inb witham essex, everything there is brand new and all boxes available. We have a great range of amp/cabs/combos. If you are interested, call the shop for a chat and mention Richard put you in touch! Cheers .

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='185741' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:21 AM']I mean -you wouldn't buy a new car that was scratched to f*ck would you or am I too anal?[/quote]

Yes I would , providing the price reflects it - which I think is where you're coming from. Half the trouble these days is bigger shops where the staff aren't in a position to make much of a decision. Let's be fair - a sentence is a challenge to a lot of them.
I yearn for the old days when you could see a price tag for £130 on a used item that's £200 new - wave 9 tenners under the owners nose and walk away with it.

And its a correct principle....

I try Dr Daves approach....

But its shop solid can't you knock some off fer that?

Normally met by- "dunno mate"

I say- "well go ask the manager"

If the managers noty prepared to shift it then you point out that you'll just have to buy from Thomans then...

got some great discounts on little bits doing that ---- Sound Control respond best to that approach!

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='185784' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:15 AM']If the managers noty prepared to shift it then you point out that you'll just have to buy from Thomans then...[/quote]
And that, for me, is the way forward. If shops can't be competitive (particularly on beat up shop-floor junk) then they're fine for trying before you buy - at suitably knock-down online prices.

Jon.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='185748' date='Apr 26 2008, 09:32 AM']That seems perfectly reasonable to me. At least they should be prepared to negotiate a discount for shop soiled goods. Assuming they're serious about wanting to sell it...[/quote]
I've always thought that. On ebay or online they always sell stuff that's been in the shop front as "B-stock", but they never do that in the actual shop, even though i've seen a load of kids that don't know what they're doing with their greasy mits all over it. If it's been used AT ALL it shouldn't be full price, if i buy new, i like to be the first person to have played it.

I haven't been amp shopping for years...but I guess this is all part of the current trend to not actually hold any stock, but order in if someone pays for it first. I always thought it worked like this - you have a couple in stock, boxed and ready and you have one or two on display for people to try out. When these demo models get a bit "used" they're sold off at a reduced profit.

Its no surprise, given the vast range these days, that you can't expect small local shops to stock much (they still have to pay for it all) but it does surprise me that even UK importers/distributors sometimes have virtually nothing available. And I'm amazed that any shop wouldn't haggle for a sale on a demo model....unless they had another use for it.

BB