Why become a member? ×

Wizard 64s vs Fender Original Jazz Bass Pickups

Jono Bolton

I finally look to be in a position to get some new pickups for my Jazz. I've already got my Precision with Wizard Thumper for making noise, so I'm looking for some more reserved vintage-style tones out of my Jazz. I've narrowed down my choices based on budget to either the Wizard 64s or the Fender Originals, has anyone else compared the two? Both have favourable reviews, and both can be bought for £70 a set. In a seperate thread on here regarding P Bass pickups, the Fender originals got a few more votes than the Wizard Trad, or the Seymour Duncan SPB-1, would it be much the same for the Jazz pickups?

Any advice would be great!

I picked my DiMarzio 123 pickups because I heard them on a friends 77 Jazz. They gave it a really nice deep woody traditional sound. You never know what new pickups will sound like until you hear them for yourself. The 64s do get a good write up on basschat though and Wizard will swop them for another type or rewind them to your preference if you don't like them. Fender and seymour duncan won't.

Have a word with Andy at Wizard, see what he thinks. He made me up a set of 74's as i felt the 84's were too dark sounding but didnt want the 64's as i was after something with a bit more character.. Explain to him what you're after and he will be able to advice.

I got rid of my Thumper for a Fender Original but part of that was due to the slight size difference in the Thumper, it caused me to have to file out any pick guard i put on my P bass. Tone wise i was happy with either although the Fender sounded a bit more "woody"

I'm looking to get some Wiz'64's, as I believe they're better value than the Fenders (you're not paying a big company's overheads :) ), and they're British Made. Don't know what you use pre-amp / amp wise, but you could always use that for a bit of character.

Also, I won't hear the difference (based on my ears, nobody else's), and the audience wouldn't care :lol: .