Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 1006 whats it like?

petercullenbassist

I had one in natural. There's not much competition at the £700 I paid for it at the time. They were made in Taiwan at the time and whilst there's nothing really wrong they're not very nice. The B string is tight, fit and finish is OK, but a closer look reveals a lot of shortcomings. The neck is way too thick and is very tiring to play. The tone is even but very sterile - the pan doesn't do anything other than thin or fatten the tone, and the eq sounds cheap to my ears. The tone is clear but brittle and uninspiring. I think they've got a 35" scale too, which makes balance poor and contributes to the whole bass feeling over-large. As I said, they were cheap and there's only the Ibanez BTB and SR, ESP B206 and Cort A6 for company, none of which are any better. I'd hang around for a used TRB6-II which go for around £400-500. They're bloomin' heavy though - I think the one I had was over 12lbs :blink:

I think they're awesome! Definitely one of the best 6ers about for the money (esp. used!). I don't understand why some people don't rate the electronics in the 1000 series, I think they're superb. Quality parts and construction, good balance and a comfortable neck, what's not to like?! Doesn't bother me that they're made in Taiwan, the quality is great and better than some US made instruments I've played. I personally don't think there's much to touch them in that price range.

They are decent. But I can see why some people would upgrade the electronics. The preamps sounds like a radio transistor compared to the old TRB6/TRBll. I LOVE the neck on it (a lot better than Ibanez BTB676 for example); it is quite thick but it's a smaller neck to the Ibanez, whereas the Ibanez is thinner but a lot bigger.

In terms of waiting around for yamaha TRB6 to come up secondhand.. I was doing that for 4 months and one didn't come up so I bought TRB1006. I'm glad I did that as a TRB6 STILL has not come up secondhand on here, ebay or gumtree!

If you can get one for around £300 (mine was that) i'd say go for it :D

[quote name='MatthewKeys' timestamp='1342284042' post='1732829']
They are decent. But I can see why some people would upgrade the electronics. The preamps sounds like a radio transistor compared to the old TRB6/TRBll. I LOVE the neck on it (a lot better than Ibanez BTB676 for example); it is quite thick but it's a smaller neck to the Ibanez, whereas the Ibanez is thinner but a lot bigger.

In terms of waiting around for yamaha TRB6 to come up secondhand.. I was doing that for 4 months and one didn't come up so I bought TRB1006. I'm glad I did that as a TRB6 STILL has not come up secondhand on here, ebay or gumtree!

If you can get one for around £300 (mine was that) i'd say go for it :D
[/quote]ive seen at least 3 TRB6 come up for sale

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1342284532' post='1732839']
If your budget can stretch a bit I would recommend getting a TRB6ii
An Awesome bass !!
[/quote]this for me is possibly not just the best 6 string, but the best bass for the money.. can be had second for less than a 1006 and tone and quality wise is a world away... same as the killer TRB5 i had but a six with Jazz config

Edited by bubinga5

I've recently got a Yammy TRB1005 Fretless & I love it.

The pre is just right for me. The Bass & Treble have oodles of boost & cut & the Mid pot adds & reduces the cut in the mix - exactly what I want. I have a John East U-Retro in another bass, so I have something to compare it against. It doesn't have the out & out range of the U-Retro but it has it exactly where I want it.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010062.jpg[/IMG]

G.