Why become a member? ×

candy tangerine jazz bass

Dudgeman

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1342645930' post='1738754']
I love this.

Matt nickel hardware would top it off nicely.
[/quote]

Oh Yum...hadn't thought of that. Too late for this one though. Maybe if I get a proper US version I might just do that. Well the latest update is this. We were supposed to be rehearsing tomorrow ( Thursday) so I tore round the workshop after work to put it back together. So the old Machine heads are are back on...new ones are on their way. The most important thing for me was to get the body back together and make sure the wiring is all ok. Had a couple of teething problems but plugged it in at home and all is well. No errant hums etc ...
The reason I went for this colour is the amazing shades it can go through depending on the light. When I opened the case at home to show the wife it was nearly as dark as the Candy apple red one that Fender do..But it doesn't seem to matter how many photos I take they really don't show this colour up properly...it is amazing and I am absolutely smitten! I am glad you guys like it as well.

So some more photos of it back together..no headstock decals yet either....that will be the icing on the cake. Once it is properly finished I will take a few proper hi res quality photos with my camera to really try and show off the paintwork properly.

Edited by Dudgeman

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1342680255' post='1739026']
Really Nice, well done!

Does the candy orange almost boarder on looking copper coloured?
[/quote]

Yes it can do for sure. It really is wierd paint and I think that is why I like it so much. I took these this morning and I think they show the range of colour that can appear...from light yellowy orange to almost a red....

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/Jazzincasestrung2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/Jazzinsun.jpg[/IMG]

I first started on a precision when I was about 13...I butchered it..changed the body..changed the pu' for Emg and eventually was left with the neck.It ebded up lije Triggers broom! Then went totally away from Fender for about 12 years..I have a Ric and a couple of 5 strings...when I started the Muse tribute I looked into Chris main basses...when ever you see him in the studio he always seems to have a jazz on his lap....then I saw his candy and I have been desperate for one ever since. Colour aside I can't believe I spent so long dismissing jazz basses...I absolutely love this bass.. sounds and plays brilliant. Now want to get a 5 string jazz deluxe and ship out my Ibanez.

Incidentally the p bass neck is about to get re-attached to a body I have made..so there will be another diary build on that one.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1342728437' post='1740196']
I have to admire your skill, here. I would have left that Badass out, but that's just me. The finish is stunning and you shoulda matched it on the headstock! Kudos!
[/quote]

Cheers.Its not actually a badass. This was bought off eBay for £15 on a complete punt...it is string through or from the back..made in the Wilkinson factory, alledgedly, and the quality is as good as any £90 bridge I have seen. Thinking about buying a few before he runs out.
Your not the only one to say I should have matched the head stock...however I have never liked that look on Fender basses..just me . I think it will look better once I get the decals. Appreciate all your comments..glad there are a few other tangerine lovers out there!

So The machine heads turned up. Looking lovely. Immediate problems are the standard Am Bass Machine heads are screwless and of course mine arent, so there is the problem of what to do with the screwholes. I knew this was going to raise its head so I spent some time on the mac this morning trying to come up with some good masking ideas. In the end I decided to go with veneering the whole of the back of the headstock, this was suggested on a PM to me. I am not a huge fan of this as masking the joint between the headstock and the main neck is always a problem for me. In this instance it didn't turn out too badly and is not that noticeable. Not a route I would take on a more expensive bass but serves this build well. See photos.
The next thing I am going to have to do is to sleeve out the holes on the headstock as the new Machine heads need a smaller diameter hole. I am hoping that the saving in weight and therefore better balance will be worth the work.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120723_165233.jpg[/IMG]

you can see the join between veneer and main bit of the neck here...Irritating!

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120723_165223.jpg[/IMG]

So on to the stage I wasn't looking forward to....fitting the new tuners. The standard tuners have a larger collar diameter which meant the new ones slopped around in the holes. Not ideal. So I decided to turn some Maple plugs, making sure that the point on the Live centre on the lathe made a good indent, as this would be used to centre the forstner bit for drilling them out to the right size.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_170451.jpg[/IMG]

Live centre is the metal piece on the right of the wood, in case you are not familiar with lathes. As you can see I made them way too long and then trimmed each one on the bandsaw and glued them in the headstock.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_170719.jpg[/IMG]

This is the back of the headstock with plugs in.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_170729.jpg[/IMG]

I then chiselled back the excess and sanded the plugs down flat

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_173016.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_173024.jpg[/IMG]

I then took them to the drill press and using the indent from the live centre on the lathe drilled out the plugs to the correct diameter for the new collars. Biggest problem here was the collars seemed to measure 16.5mm on the callipers and I only had a 16mm forstner bit so I had to ease each one slightly by hand with some sandpaper wrapped around a length of dowel. It didn't take too long and the fit is snug but not tight.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_174629.jpg[/IMG]

The next process was accurate marking out of the twin holes to allow the lugs on the back of the tuners to sit square and flat. I spent a bit of time doing the mark out and using a 5mm brad-point bit carefully drilled the holes. It turns out that I would have had to be cnc accurate as 5mm is exactly the same size hole as the pegs and the slightest deviation from the line would have the tuners sat out of square. As is the way 3 out of 4 were spot on and the other one was so slightly out but it meant that when wound up tight it would not sit straight....only by a tiny amount but enough to irritate me. So I took an executive decision and decided to open the holes out to 6mm to give me a tiny bit of play...this worked superbly and a huge sigh of relief was released! So here they are fitted on a dry run. Now I need to get the neck in laquor and get the decals back on and it will be job done.

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_193147.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120724_193228.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1343253108' post='1747992']
Fantastic job on those tuners, oh to have the right woodworking equipment.
[/quote]

Yeah without doubt having some equipment helps. If I were going to fit those tuners again I would make a more accurate jig for a router..I was a bit worried about how they would work out..but I love this style of tuner and the little 'f' s just make it all a bit more special. Worth the work I reckon. Managed to get it in clear coat today so hoping the decals turn up soon so I can get it finished.

[quote name='Dudgeman' timestamp='1343256475' post='1748054']
hoping the decals turn up soon so I can get it finished.
[/quote]
The decal bit is always scary to me, £10 a shot and the slightest crease and ya buggered.

I probably go over the top with lacquer coats on the decal, but always seem to get a good finish.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost finished now..Fender sorted me a replacement decal....problem is it seems to be solid black..I can't tell if the actual Fender portion has silver or gold detailing as the front section is behind the facing paper which is really hard to see through. It has the original serial number and made in Mexico on it. I will try and take a photo to see if you guys can work out what it would look like. It looks to me ........well......crap.... for want of a better word. It seems to be a copy of a Squier series jazz bass logo which mine certainly isn't..It is certainly nothing like the original decal I photographed. So I think buying the one I want off the net will be the answer and keep this decal in the case as, supposedly, it belongs with the bass.

Oh yepmop....tried the guys you suggested..phoned them 3 times...sent an email that was ignored for about a week..then got a "did you get our email" email...replied a further two times and nothing. I am going to try them again tomorrow on the phone and then move on.

[quote]
Oh yepmop....tried the guys you suggested..phoned them 3 times...sent an email that was ignored for about a week..then got a "did you get our email" email...replied a further two times and nothing. I am going to try them again tomorrow on the phone and then move on.
[/quote]

That's a real shame, I've had good comms with them in the past, emails aren't in your spam folder?

Hope you get sorted soon and get your bass finished.

Cheers

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1344977577' post='1772011']
That's a real shame, I've had good comms with them in the past, emails aren't in your spam folder?

Hope you get sorted soon and get your bass finished.

Cheers
[/quote]
Sadly not....did take a look. Didn't get a chance to speak to them today so will try tomorrow. Still hopeful of a positive outcome. Cheers

• 2 months later...

So thought I would wrap up this thread. The bass is finished and has already had a Summer/Autumn of gigs. It is stunning to play..super quick and is my pride and joy. Having realised that the one thing that needed addressing was the tuning I took the plunge and got a Hipshot de tuner..Why every 4 string bass bass on the planet doesn't have these as standard is beyond me...I will never be without one again...just brilliant.

I had an absolute ball ache with the decal for the headstock...still not happy. Fender sorted me out with replacement decals which was good of them..but they were hideous and in no way matched the originals..so I went down the aftermarket route. While the decal looks good it is only down to my sanding and finishing skill...having cleared with the company that it was ok to use 2k lacquer...I followed their directions to the letter..24 hours after the mist coats had been applied I put the top coat on and the decal reacted totally with the lacquer...I had to rub it down with 2000 grit to get it flat enough to re shoot the lacquer all the time desperately trying not to go through the decal itself...It was a total nightmare.

But the bass is everything I hoped it would be and more. I hope you like it and thanks for your supportive comments during the build. I have another more interesting build which I started 4 years ago which I am now going to press ahead and finish so keep watching forum.........

Oh and this bass is really hard to photograph as the colour is really tricky to capture....I'll show some comparison photos at the end of the thread..

Couple of playing photos showing the different hues!! Oh and I made the 2 Manson replicas in these photos as well.......

Cheers. Took a long time to get it..about 6 weeks from start to finish..very nearly gave up on them. I found applying it really easy..left it for 24 hours to dry before hitting it with a mist coat and it looked superb...it was only when i built up the lacquer it reacted..it was a nightmare and i very nearly scrapped it..but patience and a deft touch with the sandpaper rescued it.
It is weird how naked a headstock.looks without a decal yhough. Glad you like it.