Why become a member? ×

candy tangerine jazz bass

Dudgeman

So I bought a black mim Jazz deluxe off a nice guy on here and gigged it extensively last year and this. Now I have a short window I thought I would upgrade the bridge, as the E saddle keeps on dropping..even during gigs, and the tuning pegs rattle so time for some new ones. The biggest change is the colour. I have always wanted a candy tangerine bass so thought I would go for it.
I have spray gear for work so that was a good start. So a load of reaseach later I plumped for House of Kolor Orion silver base coat with a candy tangerine over the top. I panicked a bit reading all the forum boards about how difficult it is to shoot candy colours but I found it a great medium to work with rather than my usual oil based stuff that I use for work.

I am making another Matt black scratch plate as the one I already had is not the best fit despite being an exact replica of the original tortoise shell one.

I have sanded back the neck to remove some previous gig damage and now need to tint laquor it before applying replacement decals and top coating. Its as smooth as a baby's....

The new bridge allows for string through or standard stringing and cost £15 off EBay. The Chrome is bright but I have modded the body to take the string through ferrules and the price in no way reflects the quality of this bridge. The sound is ever so slightly fuller than stock and the machining of screw holes was absolutely spot on. The intonation was smack on for my last gig as well. I can highly recommend it..especially if you fancy a string through configuration.

I will post photos below...hope you like it. I should say this isn't being done as a show stopper as this is my gigging bass, I am using this one as a trial to mainly try out some new techniques so if I can find a prop per US deluxe I won't be frightened doing a real first class job on it..

Edited by Dudgeman

Orion silver bass coat sprayed. There was a point when spraying where the silver was just lying on the matt black almost like a candy with mettalic in it and it looked amazing...might do this to my black strat one day.

Edited by Dudgeman

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1342193365' post='1731359']
Great! I love seeing step by step threads like this. Keep us updated as to the progress mate
[/quote]

Will do. Should happen pretty quickly as this is my gigging bass and we are back out from 12th Aug and we are in rehearsals before that..no pressure then!!

Very short video showing body just after 1st coats of laquor...left it to dry then I will wet sand away orange peel..shoot again and buff and polish...Starting to look great.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNafjQaD5aE[/media]

Edited by Dudgeman

I think the proper Candys are lovely... photos dont really do them justice. One thing that this has highlighted is that the base of the project needs to be super flat for best results. I, stupidly only took the base layer down to 600 grit scotch Brite and though I didn't notice it on the silver base coat the candy showed up all the tiny imperfections and scratch lines. I should have sanded to 1200 min. But as I said this is a learning curve for me and that is why I was happy to use my mim as a donor.
I will almost definitely do another body in this colour.....be interesting to see how it turns out. Glad you guys like it so far...

Just a quick update. Back in the shop today..managed to sneak 20 mins to flat down the laquor. Shame the orange peel was there as the laquor was so smooth I didn't want to stop stroking it! The body and paint work is now well protected by the laquor and has been rubbed down with 1200 grit and should get the final top coats on tonight.

Have sanded the black scratch plate edges and just need to route out the PU section.That will also get finished tonight.

Then attention will turn to finishing the neck. Can't make up my mind on replacement tuners. Whether to go like for like or do something clever with the old screw holes and get some of the lightweight tuners...hmmm decisions decisions and the clock is ticking....

Black scratch plate laid on to rubbed down and flatted paintwork. When I left this evening I had put the last top coat of laquor on the body..had a bit of a disaster with the spray gun..it decided to leak for some unknown reason and shot a lump of laquor onto the body...fortunately it is under the scratch plate and I think I will be able to sand and polish out. There is enough top coat on here to last a lifetime!

[IMG]http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bassmandudge/Candy%20Tangerine%20Jazz%20bass/20120716_191632.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Dudgeman

Good shot of the scratchplate lying on the body...It is surprising how much I had to add to the bottom edge of the plate so that it runs parallel with the body..the original is really not the right shape...I will try and do a short video to show the difference. I think mine follows the lines much better. In case you are interested it is 4 mm resin board that is used for making blackboard for chalk pens...It is nice and matt and wont rub away.

Well this evening I flatted back the paintwork right down to 2000 grit and polished it up. Below are some photos and a link to a vid of the polishing. I have included a link to a description of the neck and what I am going to do with it. Thanks for your kind words...I am actually really enjoying the process. My every day job is as a cabinet maker and joiner but this is the 4th guitar/bass and each time I do an alteration or rebuild it totally re ignites my enthusiasm for woodwork and being in the shop.