Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 advice

Adam Wiseman

Hi all

Within the next 2 years I would like to get a rick, always loved them ever since I first set eyes on them lol.
I play doom / sludge and currently use two fender jazz basses.

I just wondered whether anyone has any experience using ricks with heavy guage strings as my current string guage is 135 - 65. Do ricks play well with heavy guage strings ?

Many thanks
Adam

Rickenbacker necks are very strong, despite some horror stories which you might read online!

Just make sure you get it set-up correctly, dual truss rods and all.

I assume you'd be looking at a 4003 (post-1980..ish)? 4003's were designed for the more 'modern' higher-tension string. I wouldn't feel so good sticking that higher tension on a 4001, especially with age, etc.! Strong necks, yes, but 135-65 is quite chunky....and then there's the whole fretwear, or possibility of, issue....

The 4003's after (I think) mid-2010 have an even stronger 2-piece neck, which will take anything you throw at it! But you'll be pretty safe with whichever you go for in 4003 world. B)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1342197224' post='1731486']
Rickenbacker necks are very strong, despite some horror stories which you might read online!

Just make sure you get it set-up correctly, dual truss rods and all.

I assume you'd be looking at a 4003 (post-1980..ish)? 4003's were designed for the more 'modern' higher-tension string. I wouldn't feel so good sticking that higher tension on a 4001, especially with age, etc.! Strong necks, yes, but 135-65 is quite chunky....and then there's the whole fretwear, or possibility of, issue....

The 4003's after (I think) mid-2010 have an even stronger 2-piece neck, which will take anything you throw at it! But you'll be pretty safe with whichever you go for in 4003 world. B)
[/quote]

Many thanks Spongebob. Yes it would be a brand new 4003 that I would be interested in.

Cheers : )

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1342380530' post='1734101']
Not so much the gauge at issue as the tension, what tuning are you using those in? Also the bridge would be more of a concern than the neck. Both the bridge creeping under tension and getting tail lift, and fitting the large strings through the holes.
[/quote]

I play in two tunings, one consisting of A G C F and the other A# F A# D#
I have both of my Fender Jazz basses set up for these tunings, had to have my nuts (no pun intended) slightly widened to accommodate the strings.
My guitarist would like to play in even lower but I told humid won't, lol

• 3 months later...

Yep the nut slot thing will be an issue, the 'A' string slot (for std EADG) is a bit odd because the string it is intended for from the factory isn't quite the same as most manufacturer's guages. Just another quirk of rics I guess. When I got my 4003 about 10 years ago it just happened that someone on eBay was selling off a cheap job lot of authentic ric strings in various types (rounds, flats and that odd 'half and half' ground wound that ric did) so I didn't need to use other manufacturers strings for quite a while. When all those were used up and I wasn't prepared to pay for authentic ric strings again at top dollar prices I found it difficult getting sets that fitted the 'A' nut slot and had it filed accordingly.

I was able to use the nylon strings from my Fender American Standard, to the Rickenbacker 4003. The "A" string was the only one that was close on the wrappings on the machine head post. I usually trim strings a bit longer when I restring. It doesn't hurt anything, so why not. The 4003 scale is actually 33.5 inches, as to the Fender's 34 inches. I also strung through the body on the Fender. That added a bit to the string length also.

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1352633568' post='1865300']
In my experince Ric 4003s dont really like being downtuned very much.
[/quote]

This. Which makes their popularity in downtuned Stoner metal bands baffling to me. :huh:
Mind you, every time I've seen a Rick being used in this way they've sounded terrible, a wooly, boomy mess. Fair enough if that's the tone you're after, but if so, why use a Rick?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1352727802' post='1866560']Fair enough if that's the tone you're after, but if so, why use a Rick?[/quote]
The newer 4003's depending on the year, either don't have the bass-cut capacitor to the treble pickup, or have a switch in one of the controls, so it functions like the old 4000 single pickup model. In this respect, the newer Rick treble pickup is a great pickup for drive and grind.

As far as downtuning, it depends on the strings. Companies like CircleK strings make strings specifically for downtuning, and they sound fine on a Rick.

The 2012 4003 Rickenbacker, has the Vintage setting on the bridge pup tone knob. Down is standard, pulled up is the Vintage setting position. The .105 "E" Nylon string on mine, matches the fit from the Rickenbacker factory .105 "E" string.

[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/36637B.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1352727802' post='1866560']
This. Which makes their popularity in downtuned Stoner metal bands baffling to me. :huh:
[/quote]

Stoner is all about using enough distortion from pedals and amps that what comes out the speakers bears minimal relation to what comes out of the bass. And if you check everyone famous that played a Rick, that is how they are best presented, always driven valve amps.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352820029' post='1867836']
Stoner is all about using enough distortion from pedals and amps that what comes out the speakers bears minimal relation to what comes out of the bass. And if you check everyone famous that played a Rick, that is how they are best presented, always driven valve amps.
[/quote]

Agreed, Ricks tend to sound best through valve amps, but there's a big difference between Chris Squire's Marshall and a 50w Matamp on full. Most of the classic examples I can think of (Squire, Geddy Lee, Roger Glover etc.) still retain the unique tone integral to the bass itself. Every time I have heard one used in a Stoner or Stoner-type band the amp has been driven to a comical extreme that sounds pretty awesome in itself when done correctly but tends to render the bass being used as irrelevant.

I just don't think Ricks are suited to extreme drop tuning, from my personal experience. I played in what was generally termed a stoner metal band for many years and my Rick never did the job as well as a Precision bass, for example, which coped ith the downtuning better and still retained the tone I expected.

This is not knocking Ricks in any way - I love them and their sound, and have owned several over the years, but as with every bass they have their strengths and weaknesses, and are better suited to certain things more than others.

But it's all down to personal experience - iiipopes above has had good experiences with downtuning his Ricks. A lot depends on technique and style of music.