Why become a member? ×

Help Me? :(

Samashton12

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1342128208' post='1730234']
I think the key word is YOU need to write new lines for the track :)
[/quote]

This is a great opportunity to learn how to write basslines though. Lots of people shy away from it but, if you get a teacher and they show you their methods, then its part of the learning curve.

Edited for awful grammar.

Edited by OliverBlackman

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1342128208' post='1730234']
I think the key word is YOU need to write new lines for the track :)
[/quote]
:D

Yes, no sense in passing the audition and then wasting their time later if you can't cut it.

The only way to do this is for you to listen to the song and see what bass lines come into your head, sing them in your head, out loud, whatever, but do that then learn how to play it on the bass. This is the only way to really represent yourself truthfully. Be confident with what you come up with, because that will be truly you. They may not like it but there will be other opportunities. Good luck.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342128786' post='1730256']
That's tough love.
[/quote]
Yeah, well, I've been kicked out of a good band through being sh*t and trying to bluff it. I was 19 and it taught me a big f***ing lesson I never forgot. I still cringe thinking about it.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342128976' post='1730262']

Yeah, well, I've been kicked out of a good band through being sh*t and trying to bluff it. I was 19 and it taught me a big f***ing lesson I never forgot. I still cringe thinking about it.
[/quote]

What happened?

OK - against the consensus here by telling you how I'd approach it, but here goes anyway. I'm listening quietly on awful laptop speakers (sleeping baby nearby!) so can't hear the bass part at all on the track - blank canvas for me! Listen to what the drummer is doing and build something around that - you don't have to write something spectacularly complicated, they'll want to see how you'll contribute to the sound of the band and that is as much about supporting the melody as anything else.

If it was me, I'd be looking at doing something slightly different for each half of the verse - changing my part where the dynamic lifts and the second guitar comes in. I'd also maybe use a different 'first half' part for each verse, so that when it comes back after the first chorus the groove or use of space is a little different. It's a subtle change but makes a difference as the listener isn't hearing the same thing constantly repeated. If you've got a couple of ideas that you're happy with, get them both in, one in each verse, and you could really vary the feel of the song - take control of it and make it yours, but still keep it simple and grooving.

I think the important thing is not to overdo it - they'll be looking for someone who fits neatly into the band, not shred over the top of it!

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1342129101' post='1730263']
Thanks guys.. im gonna go lock myself in my room ;) im self taught and ive never had a teacher or attempted to write lines.. ive just covered stuff.. thanks though.. always a big help :)
[/quote]

Stick to the roots, use space, not notes, to create a groove and pump that bitch and add the odd clever note. I'm self taught too.

Get to know the track and it's keys, give yourself some loose options, then have a chat with the drummer once you get there to discuss his grooves and work the notes round his grooves.

Don't be flash in the song, if you've got a show piece ask them if they want to hear it, be cool, easy going and smile.

That's my advice

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342128563' post='1730250']

:D

Yes, no sense in passing the audition and then wasting their time later if you can't cut it.

The only way to do this is for you to listen to the song and see what bass lines come into your head, sing them in your head, out loud, whatever, but do that then learn how to play it on the bass. This is the only way to really represent yourself truthfully. Be confident with what you come up with, because that will be truly you. They may not like it but there will be other opportunities. Good luck.
[/quote]
This ;)

Nothing wrong with being self taught, but learn some theory and you'll find the creative process of writing basslines much easier and the results will be more consistent. Thats what a band wants, they want you to rock up to rehearsal, be able to be told the chords, and have a bassline for it after playing through a few times. Your own imagination isn't always reliable and can often lead to stuff sounding the same for every song.

Edited by OliverBlackman

The first thing I listen out for when coming up with lines is what the kick, snare and any other rhythm instruments are doing. These provide the fundamental rhythm pattern so working around those should let you know where to fatten up/emphasise a beat with a big low note or two. Generally less is more - the trick is in balancing leaving enough space for everything to stand out whilst taking up enough room to support it and beef it up. Don't worry if your part seems musically uncomplicated - I used to think it was impressive to throw in as many tricks as I could, when infact it only made me sound arrogant and the music sound bad. In my opinion, the real joy in bass playing is just sitting on a good groove. Runs and fiddly stuff sound ace... in the right place. :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1342131989' post='1730327']
The first thing I listen out for when coming up with lines is what the kick, snare and any other rhythm instruments are doing. These provide the fundamental rhythm pattern so working around those should let you know where to fatten up/emphasise a beat with a big low note or two. Generally less is more - the trick is in balancing leaving enough space for everything to stand out whilst taking up enough room to support it and beef it up. Don't worry if your part seems musically uncomplicated - I used to think it was impressive to throw in as many tricks as I could, when infact it only made me sound arrogant and the music sound bad. In my opinion, the real joy in bass playing is just sitting on a good groove. Runs and fiddly stuff sound ace... in the right place. :)
[/quote]

Great advice.

Ahhhhh, I hear you, but this is such a good opportunity to really develop.

I got in a band on Tuesday, and Weds and Thurs nights for me were as much about transposing basslines into different keys (lead singer wanting to sing in a different key) as they were about playing. I'm also waiting for a rough recording of an original track that I need to write a bassline for.

embrace the challenge I say ;)