Why become a member? ×

cabinet suggestion for sound city 200 custom built

krysh

hi fellow basschatters,

in a few weeks I'll be the proud owner of this refurbished (new tubes and caps)
old beast:

which seems to carry the "signature" of mr. reeves by the accurate looks of the board.

what cabinet would do this amp justice. I have some to try but you who know the amp, what would suit best with my guild starfire, my sei jazz 5, my custom jazz 4 and my guild pilot fretless. I don't play metal/hard rock, but rock/pop, funk, soul, latin, jazz and fusion.

also more info about the amp would be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance and cheers!

thanks bert and chris,
from what I hear about BF on the board, you are probably right, and this was the first answer I expected. unfortunately this thing will be too heavy and big for me also regarding shipping to germany.
I'd like to specify my question a bit more. I'd prefer cabs that don't weigh more than 22 kg. I already own a great custom SAD 1x12" with 14,5 kg and would definately go for a second one in addition, but since the sound city will stay the reheasal- and loud-recording-amp I'd like a cab I'm allowed to move on my own.

Edited by krysh

Mine works great with my Super 15. The 69er imitates a crude cab that will choke off the lovely lows from that mighty Partridge iron, those amps were designed and built to a massively higher standard that Ampegs SVTs, and don't need to compensation of such a coloured cab to let them do their thing.

You do need to get the output jacks modded, as by standard they are shorted unless you have two jacks plugged in, which is kind of a pain. If you go speakon, get one of the ones that shorts if unplugged.

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1341922411' post='1726181']
sexy ;D Is it refurbished in those pictures? make sure you tech doesn't pinch the gec kt88's if there are any.
[/quote]
thanks. unfortunately the old gec kt's are completely dead. :(

and no it still has the old caps that would still do it for a while.

Edited by krysh

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1341917404' post='1726038']
Mine works great with my Super 15. The 69er imitates a crude cab that will choke off the lovely lows from that mighty Partridge iron, those amps were designed and built to a massively higher standard that Ampegs SVTs, and don't need to compensation of such a coloured cab to let them do their thing.

You do need to get the output jacks modded, as by standard they are shorted unless you have two jacks plugged in, which is kind of a pain. If you go speakon, get one of the ones that shorts if unplugged.
[/quote]

thanks, this is realy helpful, I'll have this checked.
I was thinking the huge partridge transformers should do better than this ampeg ones regarding the lows.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1341922518' post='1726182']
[/quote]

Get them anyway. They make decorations, I'm going to make some turned bases for them as ornaments, because people all pick them up and stare into them laying about my house.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1341922518' post='1726182']

and no it still has the old caps that would still do it for a while.
[/quote]

you did keep them yes? some techs will tell you owt. doesn't look like anything was replaced in that pic either. The caps will probably still be within spec but they'll be starting to drift

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1341923528' post='1726215']
you did keep them yes? some techs will tell you owt. doesn't look like anything was replaced in that pic either. The caps will probably still be within spec but they'll be starting to drift
[/quote]
what I said, and I know my tech for quite a while now. ;)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1341990633' post='1727380']
4x12's were pretty standard cabs with valve amps in the seventies, with some people going for 2x15's. Aside from the barefaced 2x15's, you'll be hard pushed to find cabs like that which weigh in at under 22kg.
[/quote]
thanks musky, I know this is difficult.
I already have the 350W version of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og5__25Mcks"]these [/url]which weighs 14,5 kg with cover and that's also me with my starfire playing the audio file. it sounds fantastic live with my 100W custom made valve poweramp and my acoustic image focus sa and I'd probably only ever need a second one if I'd needed to break some walls, but since it is at home for practice and so available for quick gigs, I'd like to consider more options for the rehearsal room.

thanks

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1341992107' post='1727418']
i've not found it to bad to be honest with as its tilt back with castors. quite easy to get in the car to. I'm going back to it after my neodynium quest :lol:
[/quote]

sure, my SAD doesn't have a neodym speaker either, only I can't lift this heavy weights anymore. :(

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1341997485' post='1727534']
I used a pair of matching Sound City 4x12s with the Sound city 200 head I had in the early 70s.
[/quote]
cool, this should have been an earthquaking force! :lol:

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1341997604' post='1727536']
....this should have been an earthquaking force!....
[/quote]

Not really.

The 412 cabs were mostly non ported and didn't put out much low bass. There were no 5 string basses, only passive electrics and most players played up the neck.

The bass would cave your chest in but wouldn’t really flap your trousers. The overriding bass sound at the time was mids.

I know it’s a generalisation but this sums up the bass sound of live bands that I was seeing in the clubs at the time

[font=Arial][size=2][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BLcApIFphA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BLcApIFphA[/url][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1341999535' post='1727592']
Not really.

The 412 cabs were mostly non ported and didn't put out much low bass. There were no 5 string basses, only passive electrics and most players played up the neck.

The bass would cave your chest in but wouldn’t really flap your trousers. The overriding bass sound at the time was mids.

I know it’s a generalisation but this sums up the bass sound of live bands that I was seeing in the clubs at the time

[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[/quote]

Actually I have to disagree. If my bass sounded like that in the 60s / 70s I'd have thought that there was something seriously wrong.

Sound City bass cabs were ported, they had a slot in the back.

I get the same sound now as I did then except instead of using 4x12s I'd use 4 or 8x10s. I'm sure that if bass amps of the day only had one sound which was just mids then they wouldn't be sought after today and they wouldn't still be making them, Hiwatt, Marshall, Orange, Matamp, Reeves, Mywatt to name just a few.

Sorry again, but I never knew any bass players that played up the neck and passive basses are still pretty popular. Precision or Jass any one?