Why become a member? ×

cabinet suggestion for sound city 200 custom built

krysh

You can't get valve amps with that quality of components any more, and people realised valve amps are awesome.

Edit: Also for comparison, here is how shagged valves can look and still be good, these all tested fine, and fetched reasonable money on ebay:

[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/goldlionkt77002.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1341992210' post='1727420']

sure, my SAD doesn't have a neodym speaker either, only I can't lift this heavy weights anymore. :(
[/quote]you don't have to lift per se just sort of tilt and push it into the boot :lol:

But my point was that these amps were poor back in the day. Hiwatt were tops followed by orange and Marshall and sound city nowhere. Now if these amps are regarded now then that doesn't say too much for todays amps. When I was just starting nobody touched them although I was lucky to own a sh*t Marshall 100w before I got hold of a very nice Hiwatt. Thankfully PV came along but they were awful by today's standard.... Understandably.

That is not to say that one or two SC amps weren't good but the build seemed VERY variable from all the makers, I think. Which is why basically average kit like PV got such a hold..... Consistancy and solid build.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1342094450' post='1729426']
But my point was that these amps were poor back in the day. Hiwatt were tops followed by orange and Marshall and sound city nowhere. Now if these amps are regarded now then that doesn't say too much for todays amps. When I was just starting nobody touched them although I was lucky to own a sh*t Marshall 100w before I got hold of a very nice Hiwatt. Thankfully PV came along but they were awful by today's standard.... Understandably.

That is not to say that one or two SC amps weren't good but the build seemed VERY variable from all the makers, I think. Which is why basically average kit like PV got such a hold..... Consistancy and solid build.
[/quote]

You are thinking of the wrong Sound City. They had a production change for the Mark 4s where the build standard dropped, although the component quality stayed the same. Up to Mark 3 they were built pretty much the same as the first Hiwatts, since Hiwatt started out building Sound City. Hiwatt kicked things up a notch and ended up only making 30 amps a month or something, and Sound City started churning them out as fast as they could. The Mark 4s just need a neater bit of work done so they function as intended. Marshalls have always been craply made out of crap components, that is the source of the Marshall sound, Laney copied them totally but used the right spec components, and sounded totally different.

Edit: Explain with pictures:

Sound City 200, had a hard life, lots of work done in there:
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/sc200working002-1.jpg[/IMG]

Hiwatt 200, pristine, from the best era with the military grade inspecting guy:
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/hiwatt001.jpg[/IMG]

Marshall from 1973, 'the one' to have, before they went PCB:
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/marshalls009.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1342094450' post='1729426']

[/quote]

oh my, your only contributioon in this thread is to bash my SC then? poor.

if you would know what you were talking about, you would have seen from the pictures that this is one of the old ones which basically is a pre-hiwatt hiwatt custom 200. same transformers, same parts and maybe even mr. reeves himself built it.

please get used to post if you want do contribute instead of bashing or take your meds.

thank you, sir.

Edited by krysh

Fine... But I am talking about late 70's type gear. The kit might have been older but i don't recall many surviving on gigs I did back then even as a kid.
And I don't see it crop up now even with guys that insist on carrying valve amps.
I asked why these are regarded now and all you can come up with is don't trash my thread. To that I'll say I don't see anyone running them now when people are far more discerning and will spend the money to get what they want. So even if you try and accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about re SC, I'll bet you will not know anywhere as much as the Gtrs round here that shun them..... Again.
You'll see.... or hear all manner of boutique amps plus tops from Cornford to Soldano, various tiny kettle amps, Marshall, Park and a few old TnB's plus the obligatory twins... plus you'll have amp makers, designers and techs and only one guy uses a SC top but he isn't known for his sound at all and couldn't afford to change anyway.

So nope. Not buying it

Edited by JTUK

Ok. I'll dig a big deeper. Down this neck of the woods there a few good people who were making amps around that time and designing other market leading kit. And although they are mostly retired industry types now they still keep their hand on and see a lot of that stuff come their way.

Hiwatt 4122 4x12" cab (made for guitar or bass). Though at around 40+ kilos IIRC - and you'd need two - not really what you're after.
Your weight limit may be a big ask.

You could see if you can find a similar Music Ground (oh dear) Hiwatt cab. They sell for a lot less than a vintage Hiwatt, but will still be weighty. They take 300+ watts so should be OK unless you go full tilt.
You can get around the twinned outputs by plugging your speaker into output 1 - and a new & unused and unwired jack into output 3. Then set your impedance as though you had two cabs. It's a dodge that was done since year one of the 200's use & recommended to me by two tech pros, though I got around it by also using a 2 x 15".
But now by back is knackered!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342106405' post='1729710']
Hiwatt 4122 4x12" cab (made for guitar or bass). Though at around 40+ kilos IIRC - and you'd need two - not really what you're after.
Your weight limit may be a big ask.

You could see if you can find a similar Music Ground (oh dear) Hiwatt cab. They sell for a lot less than a vintage Hiwatt, but will still be weighty. They take 300+ watts so should be OK unless you go full tilt.
You can get around the twinned outputs by plugging your speaker into output 1 - and a new & unused and unwired jack into output 3. Then set your impedance as though you had two cabs. It's a dodge that was done since year one of the 200's use & recommended to me by two tech pros, though I got around it by also using a 2 x 15".
But now by back is knackered!
[/quote]

hmm, in addition for being too heavy for my back, I doubt that these vintage cabs will do a five sting bass justice, but I'd like to try one(two) if it was posssible which it isn't. :lol:
also I think, I'll have my tech install 2 speakons instead.

did no one try one of these with moden cabs?