Why become a member? ×

Mxr m80 review

Mattbass97

I recently bought an mxr m80 for £95 brand new off a fellow basschater and wow am I happy! Within 5 minutes of plugging it in I found my perfect sound that I've been searching for ever since I started playing bass, I kid you not. The construction is absolutely second to none it's brilliant I can see it lasting a long long time. People said they've had problems with the battery compartment being cheap and Breaking well I purposely forced mine a bit and it's sturdy just like the one off a 105q bass wah and I've had no problems with either!

Now the eq on this is simple and effective, 3 knobs bass, mid, treble. It is great sounding and super easy to get a great/fantastic sound!! The colour switch is a thing of dreams, a bass and treble boost with a certain selected mid freq creates a perfect boost and punch with clarity that just blows me away! The distortion channel is not crap as I've heard many people say. It can go from tubey overdrive to blown out distortion that stays full and juicy no matter what. The combination of the eq and the distortion give a huge amount of different sounds to gain. This pedal can do so much in terms of finding YOUR sound. I personally find it a million times better than an eq with freq bands as mxr/Dunlop have used really great freq selections in this pedal and I adore them for that haha. I haven't had time to try out the di out but I'm sure it will be amazing.

Overall I have to say this pedal is a well constructed, great sounding and brilliantly put together pedal and i hope it will be with me for a long time and it truely sounds a hell of a lot better than any demo on the Internet and if you think any of the demos are good then go for it because it will only sound better in person.

Share your experiences and feel free to ask questions if you've got any! :) also if anyone had any settings they'd like to share?

I liked mine, but ultimately, I always end up going back to bass/lead/amp. I just kept everything at 12 o`clock, aside from Blend on its lowest setting, and the Trigger on full. This added the tiniest amount of dirt/grit to the sound. Noticeable on its own, but in the mix you`d never know there was any gain on the bass.

[quote name='Mattbass97' timestamp='1341772649' post='1723907']
People said they've had problems with the battery compartment being cheap and Breaking well I purposely forced mine a bit and it's sturdy just like the one off a 105q bass wah and I've had no problems with either!
[/quote]

Funny you say that, because the one in my 105q broke. It's not sturdy at all. Luckily, I emailed Dunlop and they sent me 2. The one in my MXR M80 never broke though (because I didn't use it).

I had it for 2 or 3 years. Loved the Color button but it never really worked live. Good at home and in rehearsal studios though, when you get there and have a different crappy amp every time, just leave the random amp flat and use the tone from the Color button + a tweak with the EQ, you'll get a sound you can trust every time. Live though, too scooped, makes you disappear in the front of house mix, then you turn up and it gets too bassy and the sound guy goes nuts. I always ended up leaving it off. Also, though it's brilliant with a pick, it's a bit useless with fingers because all your definition is gone.

Distortion is very weak IMO, only bearable with Gain and Blend below noon for a mild overdrive, which kind of disappears when the rest of the band comes in. If you go for higher settings, low end is gone and so are you in the mix.

I kind of miss the tone of recording playing with a pick with the Color button, but that's about it, didn't really have any other use or it...

Yea I see what u mean :) the distortion can get a bit weak at higher settings but my main use for this was the eq and it's done me awesomely aha I love it and I use the distortion for stuff like overdrive for sort of arctic monkeys stuff and it works great for a bit of grit with a pick

• 2 weeks later...

i tried one for the first time at a rehearsal last night - it really enhanced the tone of my bass. also - if anyone wants to nail the bass sound on 'runaway baby' by Bruno Mars, this pedal's distortion is the one. definitely won't be moving from my pedal board in a hurry.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1341789801' post='1724298']
Funny you say that, because the one in my 105q broke. It's not sturdy at all. Luckily, I emailed Dunlop and they sent me 2. The one in my MXR M80 never broke though (because I didn't use it).

I had it for 2 or 3 years. Loved the Color button but it never really worked live. Good at home and in rehearsal studios though, when you get there and have a different crappy amp every time, just leave the random amp flat and use the tone from the Color button + a tweak with the EQ, you'll get a sound you can trust every time. Live though, too scooped, makes you disappear in the front of house mix, then you turn up and it gets too bassy and the sound guy goes nuts. I always ended up leaving it off. Also, though it's brilliant with a pick, it's a bit useless with fingers because all your definition is gone.

Distortion is very weak IMO, only bearable with Gain and Blend below noon for a mild overdrive, which kind of disappears when the rest of the band comes in. If you go for higher settings, low end is gone and so are you in the mix.

I kind of miss the tone of recording playing with a pick with the Color button, but that's about it, didn't really have any other use or it...
[/quote]
Totally agree about the colour button. Sounds great at hoe but in the band mix it's too boomy and muddy so I just don't use it. The rest of the pedal is great though. EQ tweaks work great when needed and I don't use distortion much but when I do the M80 can do what I need well enough to not bother carrying another distortion.