Why become a member? ×

Archway Tavern - Dusk Till Dawn - Any Experiences?

spongebob

Through a website, our originals band has been offered a slot here -

[url="http://fancyapint.com/Pub/london/dusk-till-dawn-ex-the-archway-tavern/2235"]http://fancyapint.com/Pub/london/dusk-till-dawn-ex-the-archway-tavern/2235[/url]

Looks a bit dodgy - and reads it too! Read a few other online remarks, and they weren't that great either!

The promoter took about 3 weeks to reply to us after offering us a selection of dates. Finally got got an answer - he seemed alright, and promised to get back me about a couple of gear questions. Once again, after 5 days, nothing.

Anybody on BC got any experiences of this place? We've got a bit of a trek to get there - probably for nothing - so alarm bells are ringing...... :o

Played there a handful of times around 2002 - 2004. Pretty average, some good nights, some fair. Do remember the management weren't that great at communicating, but in all fairness, that was way back then.

Play almost every month in a pub down the road. Nice Irish community there.

I hope you're getting enough to cover travelling ex's + your time.

Sorry if it's not much help.

i played there a couple of months ago, and yes, it does feel a bit out in the wilds, but was fine. a few dodgy characters hanging around during the afternoon, but nowt that wasn't par for the course for a 'city-centre' pub on a weekend.

the chap doing the sound was very nice (even coping with a drummer, 2 basses and about 6 guitarists) andf i'm told the sound was pretty good out front.

also...there's a nice little italian restaurant in the parade of shops just over the road...tasty arrabiata.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1341673966' post='1722607']

I hope you're getting enough to cover travelling ex's + your time.

[/quote]

All loads of help! I'd have no idea otherwise what I (might) be going to.

Money is dependent on ticket sales - we're pretty much going on our own, so was just going to chalk it down for a bit of exposure and a chance to play in the capital.....

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1341677827' post='1722688']
All loads of help! I'd have no idea otherwise what I (might) be going to.

Money is dependent on ticket sales - we're pretty much going on our own, so was just going to chalk it down for a bit of exposure and a chance to play in the capital.....
[/quote]
I've no idea what's going on with the place nowadays, but during what must have been it's last days as the Archway Tavern it had a bit of a name for pay to play. Maybe that's not the case now but it did rather trash the venues reputation - not that it had a particularly great one anyway. Quite honestly you could do better.

I don't know what kind of music you're doing, but you'd be better off with a venue that's more on the beaten track. Very few venues for originals bands in London can guarantee any audience whatsoever, but you'll up your chances of passing trade by being were the punters are.

The 12 Bar Club does both in house promotions and has outside promotors for some nights. If your music fits you'd be better off there - quite a few BCers have played there before.