Why become a member? ×

4 v 8 ohms cabs

Damonjames

Hi guys, forgive my ignorance and this may sound like a dumb question but here goes.
I am researching a new amp purchase and with power ratings it will say 250 watts at 8 ohms or 500 watts at 4 ohms. Now if I was to run say 1 4x10 at 8 ohms (250 watts) would that relate to 1/2 the volume output as say 2 4x10 at 8 ohms each ( 4 ohm load at 500 watts) or 1 4x10 at 4 ohms (500 watts). Assuming of course that all cabs are suitably rated to handle power.
I hope this makes some sense any help greatly appreciated

Connecting a 4 ohm cab will mean you get all the power, but as chrismuzz says, the difference in volume won`t be as much as you would think.

I always try to get a 4 ohm cab, if my amp puts out its full power at 4 ohms, for one very simple reason. It will stop me buying another 8 ohm cab and having two cabs to cart about. I just make sure that the power handling is stated as being greater than that of the amp - and using a 500 watt amp, into a 1200 watt cab, I`m fairly sure I`m unlikely to blow my cab up. Especially as I don`t in any way push the amp.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1341612944' post='1721957']
And the amp would probably put out @ 350 watts to one 8Ω cab if you turned it right up (& maybe fry the voice coil).
[/quote]

Yeah, that's fairly typical. The 4ohm cab would only give you a volume increase of about 1.5dB - barely noticeable.

EDIT: I was talking about 1 x 4ohm cab compared to 1 x 8ohm cab. Sorry I didn't read the post carefully enough :(

Edited by dincz

2 cabs will be louder because there are more speakers to move air, and some amps can sound better at 4 ohm.

I would go for 2 8 ohm 210 cabs because they'll sound pretty much like a 410 and will be much easier to lift. After years of using 15's (always EV 15's), these days I prefer 12's or 10's.