Why become a member? ×

Should I or Shouldn't I?

OutSpoon

Okay I just realised something - apologies if this sounds silly; but looking at some pics of 73's and 77's - does the binding on the neck always match the blocks? I.e. white binding with white blocks? My neck has white binding so I am thinking black blocks would also be 'wrong' in another way?

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1341567491' post='1720980']
Can I just say thank you for the picture of Kate Bush.[/quote]

Yes, it's well horny. To the OP: The blocks should match the binding! Having black blocks with white binding would be like a post-op tranny wearing a jock-strap! Or something like that, anyway.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341568111' post='1720995']
Yes, it's well horny. To the OP: The blocks should match the binding! Having black blocks with white binding would be like a post-op tranny wearing a jock-strap! Or something like that, anyway.
[/quote]

If a post-op tranny ends up with black blocks they should ask for a full refund.

Well, firstly, Fender instruments are almost made to be customised so do what you like with it. Also, I use the stick on vinyl blocks and they have fooled everyone I've shown them too, including some eminent BCers, so don't diss them before you've seen them.

However the main issue with your bass is the fact the strings are not aligned correctly, you have the classic Fender three bolt crap neck pocket where the neck is slightly angled to one side so the G is almost hanging off the neck and the E is half an inch in. I think I'd get that sorted before anything else.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341584769' post='1721411']
Well, firstly, Fender instruments are almost made to be customised so do what you like with it. Also, I use the stick on vinyl blocks and they have fooled everyone I've shown them too, including some eminent BCers, so don't diss them before you've seen them.[/quote]

This. That is all. They really do look good and I defy anyone to tell the difference without an in-depth examination (as long as you put them on straight :blush:

What is there to lose? If you don't like them, just take 'em off again!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341584769' post='1721411']However the main issue with your bass is the fact the strings are not aligned correctly, you have the classic Fender three bolt crap neck pocket where the neck is slightly angled to one side so the G is almost hanging off the neck and the E is half an inch in. I think I'd get that sorted before anything else.
[/quote]

I see what you mean... but is that not just the angle that the pic is taken from?

[quote name='OutSpoon' timestamp='1341588649' post='1721506']
I think it is the angle of the pic - I just took a look at it and it's all straight and true. It's a lovely bass and has a great tone - perhaps dots make it interesting.. :-)
[/quote]

I'm glad for you it's just the angle.

You know something, dot and bound is unusual, rarely seen, and although a good block and bound is one of my favourite things, I love the look of dot and bound, I think it's really beautiful.