Why become a member? ×

My boss effects pedals don't seem to work together

Hello,

Have taken delivery of a second hand Boss BF-2B Flanger and already have a Boss ODB3 distortion pedal.

So last night tried to use them together. Each pedal was powered individually and each works perfectly well on its own. However, when in series, using brand new patch cables, the second one in line fails to function. Wont even produce the red activated light.

So, any similar experiences or ideas on how to sort this?

Cheers,

Garry

In order to track down a weird problem like this you have slowly work through all the different combinations to get to the root of the problem. Assume nothing otherwise you'll most likely miss something obvious.

Can I just confirm the intended signal path:

Bass->Pedal 1 with its own PSU->Pedal 2 with a separate PSU->Amp.

Can you also confirm that both PSUs and the amp are all ultimately connected to the same mains socket and for the purposes of the test nothing else is connected to it.

And you bass, active or passive?

Hello, Yes, the signal path is as described above. I've swapped over PSU's and they work fine. Once I get to pick my gear up I'll try the battery option, leaving the PSU's plugged in too.

Bass is active G&L L2000. Setting the switch to active or passive made no difference.

Cheers,

g

I had a Boss problem years back which may be an issue if one of your pedals is fairly old. Seems some of the older pedals weren't designed to work from 0V to 9V on psi, but instead the 'ground' level was a couple of volts positive. Fine one at once, but two pedals of differing generation could clash and just not quite function correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got a message back from Boss/Roland saying my pedal has fault

Sent pedal to Boss

Received pedal back from Boss

Boss said there is no fault

Damn

PS: Boss tried to make me pay £30 admin fee as I hadn't registered my pedal with them within 90 days. Just a heads up for those who don't register each product on their website...I will from now on

Hi
I think BOD2 is on the right lines. The clue maybe is that you say the red light doesn't come on when you use the patch lead. The 'Input' jack of a Boss pedal is also the on switch (certainly with a battery, presumably also with mains adapter). If the INPUT doesn't think it's got a jack in, it will not switch on. So - maybe the jack isn't absolutely fully plugged in or has a faulty tip / shaft shape. If you have a spare guitar lead, use that between the two pedals to see if that sorts it.