Why become a member? ×

Amp advice please

robvalentine

hi guys, I was wondering what you guys thought of the following amps. I'm basically after a relatively inexpensive, and small(ish) practice amp.

I have been looking at the Fender rumble 15, the Laney rb1, and the peavy max 158. I'm tempted to make the jump to the Fender Bronco 40, which is twice the price of the rest, but maybe more versatile in the long run. I have A Mexican std P Bass, and will be mostly playing rock.

if there are any other good/better amps out there, I've seen alot of bands with ashdown amps, but seen a few negative comments about their practice amps, is this true?

cheers

P.s. I'm currently using pod farm on my laptop to play bass, and i quite like the silverface model (if i have remembered that correctly), and the rock bass model in garageband

Edited by robvalentine

Ashdown will do fine for your purpose. They do such a range of stuff under the same label that people criticise the cheap stuff as if it were the expensive stuff. With practice amps, there isn't much by way of a long run, they are only good for practice. Get whatever and practice playing, and take every opportunity to try out other stuff for free, whilst you save for serious toys.

I've owned and used most of the Ashdown range. The only amp I've kept is the 'Perfect Ten' practice amp as it's the only bit of their kit that I found to have a fairly transparent sound.

If I was looking for a smallish practice amp I'd look in the classifieds on here, and Gumtree, and keep an open mind.

thanks for the advice guys, had a look through the classified, couldn't see anything obvious (my knowledge of ebery model name/type is limited so i may have missed something), and on gumtree, the prices aren't much lower than new... Found the laney for £60 so will plump for that me thinks.

thanks for the help guys

The Fender Rumble has a good sound, as does the Marshall MB15. My current practice amp is the Ampeg BA-108. Nice little amp, but it only ever sounds like an Ampeg - not a bad thing in my view - so not overly versatile. The Marshall, having 2 channels, is very versatile.