Why become a member? ×

Sold, handcrafted in Hertfordshire.

gary mac

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrcomphotosgmac190/7427567372/"][/url]
1970’s inspired Precision Bass, handcrafted in Hertfordshire

Ok, ok, so it’s really a bitsa but it’s a good one.

I’ve got a genuine 75 fender P but have been nervous about gigging it in the type of venues that I was playing with the classic rock band.

So I decided to put together a 70’s style bass with decent components, that would hopefully sound and look right.
I had decided that if this turned out well it would be a keeper. The good news is that it turned out really well. The unfortunate news for me, is that I‘ve now left the band and also had some unexpected expense on the home front.

So I’ve decided to sell.

The Spec:
Squier VMP body, with 3 ply pick guard.
Kiogon Greasebucket type wiring loom, with cts pots.
Fender Japan 70’s reissue pups.
Mightymite neck, with tinted lacquer finish and Fender decal.
9.5 radius rosewood fret board.
Wilkinson vintage style tuners.
Fender string tree.
Fender F plate neck plate, with Allparts black cushion.
New set of Rotosound Nickel Roundwounds 45-105.

Everything has fitted together very well which hopefully should be evident in the photos.
Looks and feels better than many of the Fenders I’ve picked up to look at in the shops.

The neck had not been previously used and therefore the frets have no wear and the fret board is perfect.

The only minus points are three small blemishes to the lacquer on the rear of the neck, which you should be able to see in the photos and a few surface scratches to the pick guard, which probably don’t show up in the pics.

Weight is a very reasonable 9.5 lbs.

I haven’t gigged the bass but have given it an outing to a rehearsal with my other band.
It gave a great performance, sounded just right and sat in the mix just like a P bass should. Quite a mixed set, modern stuff, Plan B, Duffy, Black Eyed Peas and old favs, Doobies, Free, ZZ Top etc.

Would be happier if this was collected as I don’t have a case for it. But we can discuss shipping if required.
Happy for BC’ers to come on round for a try out.

I’m asking £295.00. No trades at the moment thanks.

[attachment=111253:015.JPG][attachment=111254:016.JPG][attachment=111255:017.JPG][attachment=111256:023.JPG][attachment=111257:024.JPG][attachment=111258:027.JPG][attachment=111259:031.JPG][attachment=111260:032.JPG][attachment=111261:035.JPG][attachment=111261:035.JPG][attachment=111262:036.JPG]

Edited by gary mac

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1340482972' post='1705198']
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrcomphotosgmac190/7427567372/"][/url]
1970’s inspired Precision Bass, handcrafted in Hertfordshire

Ok, ok, so it’s really a bitsa but it’s a good one.

I’ve got a genuine 75 fender P but have been nervous about gigging it in the type of venues that I was playing with the classic rock band.

So I decided to put together a 70’s style bass with decent components, that would hopefully sound and look right.
I had decided that if this turned out well it would be a keeper. The good news is that it turned out really well. The unfortunate news for me, is that I‘ve now left the band and also had some unexpected expense on the home front.

So I’ve decided to sell.

The Spec:
Squier VMP body, with 3 ply pick guard.
Kiogon Greasebucket type wiring loom, with cts pots.
Fender Japan 70’s reissue pups.
Mightymite neck, with tinted lacquer finish and Fender decal.
9.5 radius rosewood fret board.
Wilkinson vintage style tuners.
Fender string tree.
Fender F plate neck plate, with Allparts black cushion.
New set of Rotosound Nickel Roundwounds 45-105.

Everything has fitted together very well which hopefully should be evident in the photos.
Looks and feels better than many of the Fenders I’ve picked up to look at in the shops.

The neck had not been previously used and therefore the frets have no wear and the fret board is perfect.

The only minus points are three small blemishes to the lacquer on the rear of the neck, which you should be able to see in the photos and a few surface scratches to the pick guard, which probably don’t show up in the pics.

Weight is a very reasonable 9.5 lbs.

I haven’t gigged the bass but have given it an outing to a rehearsal with my other band.
It gave a great performance, sounded just right and sat in the mix just like a P bass should. Quite a mixed set, modern stuff, Plan B, Duffy, Black Eyed Peas and old favs, Doobies, Free, ZZ Top etc.

Would be happier if this was collected as I don’t have a case for it. But we can discuss shipping if required.
Happy for BC’ers to come on round for a try out.

I’m asking £295.00. No trades at the moment thanks.

[attachment=111253:015.JPG][attachment=111254:016.JPG][attachment=111255:017.JPG][attachment=111256:023.JPG][attachment=111257:024.JPG][attachment=111258:027.JPG][attachment=111259:031.JPG][attachment=111260:032.JPG][attachment=111261:035.JPG][attachment=111261:035.JPG][attachment=111262:036.JPG]
[/quote]
That's cheap Gary, beautiful guitar. Good luck with the sale. Things are really slow on here at the moment so don't be disheartened if this doesn't shift straightaway.

Have a (It's absolutely lovely that! That rosewood board sits better with the natural finish than the original maple did,
it brings to mind John Deacon's stripped back '67. I'm about to do the opposite, by putting a maple board Mighty Mite neck
on an Olympic White VM Precision, which again IMO sits better.) bump on me.

What exactly is a Greasbucket loom? Is this a more 70's style loom than a normal loom? Only reason i ask is that im about to undertake a very similar 70's P Bass bitsa project and will be using one of Kiogons wiring looms but was just going to ask for the normal one, didnt realise there were variants. Sorry to hijack, have a free bump for a delicious bass

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1341316375' post='1716796']
What exactly is a Greasbucket loom? Is this a more 70's style loom than a normal loom? Only reason i ask is that im about to undertake a very similar 70's P Bass bitsa project and will be using one of Kiogons wiring looms but was just going to ask for the normal one, didnt realise there were variants. Sorry to hijack, have a free bump for a delicious bass
[/quote]

There is quite a lot of info/discussion about them on the net. It wouldn't be cricket to say what the general consensus is on them in a FS thread.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1341316375' post='1716796']
[/quote]
Fender's Grease Bucket is basically a couple of extra components in the tone circuit which in my interpretation, prevents the bottom end getting 'muddy or mushy'.

Google it for Fender's own words.