Why become a member? ×

5 string players - what gauge strings do you use?

TRBboy

I'm thinking of dropping the strings on my 4 string in Eb down from "50 70 90 110" to "45 65 85 105"... I just can't bend those thin strings without it hurting my fingertips! :P The only thing that's stopping me is that I drop the Eb down to C# a lot and don't want to be playing a rubber band half the time :blink:

[color=#000080][quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343158548' post='1746368']
Wow that's a crazy tuning! So it's Drop C right? Is the bottom string an octave + 1 semitone below a standard B string?
[/quote][/color]

[color=#000080]Yeaa I have no need to use much A as bottom string but use Bb a lot.[/color]
[color=#000080]Apart from that I still play the normal tuning (just drop C) but my opinion is that each bass / guitar player has to find tune suiting him but not to learn techniques to suit the standard tuning used by most musicians. In the end this what make you different from others, and of course the skill. Isn't it?[/color]

[color=#000080][quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1343160024' post='1746425']
Elixir Medium - not quite on your list - 45, 65, 85, 105, 130

I am looking to get a set of EB Cobalt which appear to be 45, 65, 80, 100, 130 just can't seem to track them down at the mo
[/quote][/color]

[color=#000080]Bro. Try to play thickwr string for a bit e.g. 135s or 175s and afterwards you will realize that even 110s are soft and tender ))[/color]

[quote name='Alex Nikitin' timestamp='1343170629' post='1746654']
[color=#000080]Yeaa I have no need to use much A as bottom string but use Bb a lot.[/color]
[color=#000080]Apart from that I still play the normal tuning (just drop C) but my opinion is that each bass / guitar player has to find tune suiting him but not to learn techniques to suit the standard tuning used by most musicians. In the end this what make you different from others, and of course the skill. Isn't it?[/color]
[/quote]

That would definitely take some getting used to! Drop tunings on a 4 string are confusing enough sometimes :lol:
Tried a few alternate tunings before , but I feel most comfortable just having lots of basses in different standard tuning :D

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread now, but just thought I'd say that the Rotos I put on back in June are only just starting to dull to my ears! Think I will be sticking with these strings for the foreseeable future (in fact, I've already put a set on my brand new Sandberg!).

Don't see or hear a problem with lighter gauges.

I run low action with lighter strings so you have to use a light touch.
The benefits of all this is that you don't fight the bass so much... don't tire, don't stress. and I am pretty sure
being kinder to the hands will pay dividends longer in your playing life....with regards to hand problems etc etc
+10000