Why become a member? ×

Medium and Short Scale Bass 5'er interest?

Warwick_Official

Dear All,

I received quite a bit of interest/requests from members of the Talkbass forum about the potential for having a 32" or 30" scale 5 string made, specifically in the Rockbass line. Warwick currently offers the Corvette 4 string in 30" and 32" scale - and the response has been great. I took the requests from Talkbass members to the Warwick design team, and in 2 weeks later received word they had done some research and testing, and it would indeed be a possible.

So - Let's hear it from members here: What is your level of interest in an affordable 5 string 32" medium scale (or 30" short scale) bass? And, what model(s) would you like to see it developed on? Corvette, Streamer, Fortress? Everyone interested, please post here - and maybe we can make this bass a reality!

For anyone interested, the Talkbass thread is here: [size=4][font=Calibri, sans-serif][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/official-medium-scale-bass-club-402028/index25.html"]The Official Medium Scale Bass Club[/url] Near the end of the thread.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks![/font][/size]

Edited by Warwick_Official

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1339929011' post='1696303']
Would the 5th string be a low 'B' or a high 'C' ? I think it will be difficult to achieve a decent low 'B' with a 32" scale length.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd even think the decent low B just can not be achieved. However, we're looking for certain mixes of overtones, so I also think we're really talking two markets here:
- the market for the decent high C
- the market for the weird low B

I for one would never buy a 30" or 32" as a first bass, but I'd certainly buy it as a second. Then again, for all I know, a good bassist might not need one like those to get that sound.

If the bass is well enough made there should be absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be possible to get a decent low B out of a shorter than 33" scale length. Birdsong in the US seem than manage it without any bother although they do have a novel solution to getting decent compliance out of the B. However considering my experiences with standard scale 5-string basses, I'm not entirely convinced that you'll be able to do it at a Rockbass price point.

However if you can do it put me down for one in the Jack Bruce signature or Starbass II shapes.

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks for the replies! We have been doing some testing on a 32" scale with low B. The results have been very promising, and if it seems there is enough interest we may move towards production with this option. I received a fair amount of requests from Talkbass members, and wanted to see what the consensus was from BC members. Keep the comments coming! Thanks!

Good low b must be the key, tone and tension. Must be achievable with readily available strings at sensible prices. Must work with all 3 flavours - flat, round and inbetweenies. I find Rockbass Corvettes are outstandingly good value. Avoid neck dive at all costs please and keep the weight down.

What about the 35" or 36" 5er? Must be within the bound of possible to make one body and neck that can deal with 3" scale difference by bridge position. The dots on neck are just cnc program depending on production run. I can live with less than 2 octaves on the longer scale version.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339934388' post='1696397']If the bass is well enough made there should be absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be possible to get a decent low B out of a shorter than 33" scale length.[/quote]

As in decent tone, do you mean a tone with much (most) of the overtone makeup of the low E, [b]plus[/b] enough volume from the low B frequency itself? In case, I stand corrected. I didn't know that that was possible.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1340046042' post='1698279']
Good low b must be the key, tone and tension. Must be achievable with readily available strings at sensible prices. Must work with all 3 flavours - flat, round and inbetweenies. I find Rockbass Corvettes are outstandingly good value. Avoid neck dive at all costs please and keep the weight down.

What about the 35" or 36" 5er? Must be within the bound of possible to make one body and neck that can deal with 3" scale difference by bridge position. The dots on neck are just cnc program depending on production run. I can live with less than 2 octaves on the longer scale version.
[/quote]Shiftable bridge with side dots in different colours for different scales.