Why become a member? ×

I think I've gone mad...

charic

When I get an hour or so I'll get around to hooking this up in protools and I'll post my findings

I can use the Busses like the channels and see what weird and wonderful sounds I can get by mixing back together :)

I'd suggest, if you want simplicity yet the ability to program sounds, grab a couple of really nice drive pedals then buy yourself TC Nova System to take care of EQ, pitch and time based effects. I use an additional baby size MIDI controller to call up ten different patches instantly.

If you need more routing options for pedals, i'd encourage you to grab a second hand TC G-System.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1340287832' post='1702334']
I'd suggest, if you want simplicity yet the ability to program sounds, grab a couple of really nice drive pedals then buy yourself TC Nova System to take care of EQ, pitch and time based effects. I use an additional baby size MIDI controller to call up ten different patches instantly.

If you need more routing options for pedals, i'd encourage you to grab a second hand TC G-System.
[/quote]

Indeed, consolidating things seems like a good way to go. Guitarist buddy of mine has just gone from a giant board full of stomp boxes to a Mesa Triple Rec (which is giving him all the drive sounds he needs) and a TC G Major 2 for all of his mod/reverb/delays. All controlled from a MIDI box that switches his amp channels and effects patches, and lets him tap tempo too. I'm off to his practice room some time soon to tweak it into tone heaven with him!

Or something like this if you want to stick with stomps:

[url="http://www.moenfx.com/gec9.html"]http://www.moenfx.com/gec9.html[/url]

Has 9 switchable loops, the last three of which can be used for A/B switching, as amp channel switches or as ordinary loops.

There's more expensive solutions that do a similar thing (Ground Control unit with a couple of racked-up GCX switchers) but this is only about £230 and would definitely make switching your crazy setup more manageable!

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1340319146' post='1702941']

Indeed, consolidating things seems like a good way to go. Guitarist buddy of mine has just gone from a giant board full of stomp boxes to a Mesa Triple Rec (which is giving him all the drive sounds he needs) and a TC G Major 2 for all of his mod/reverb/delays. All controlled from a MIDI box that switches his amp channels and effects patches, and lets him tap tempo too. I'm off to his practice room some time soon to tweak it into tone heaven with him!
[/quote]

My guitarist in my lil local band has done he same too! Engl Powerball and GM2 via a MIDI board. Great sound and so easy to set up. Very tidy too!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1340358406' post='1703202']
My guitarist in my lil local band has done he same too! Engl Powerball and GM2 via a MIDI board. Great sound and so easy to set up. Very tidy too!
[/quote]

But where's the fun in that, you can't collect/hoard digital effect patches?! :D

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1340373632' post='1703576']
But where's the fun in that, you can't collect/hoard digital effect patches?! :D

Si
[/quote]

I like you sir. You sir talk lots of sense!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339664140' post='1692076']
Is this totally insane/stupid or genius?

[attachment=110377:InsanePB.png]

Basically been thinking if I'm going to start building a board then I should be building to a target... is the above Insane/Stupid or Genius? :lol:
[/quote]

Hello! and thanks for your post B)

I'm not an expert - so just my two bob really.. p.s. I voted 'Insane', partly because there were only three options! :D

Ok. If we put to one side any creative or style considerations, then a major factor in the design should be quality of components to avoid increasing noise (effects units, patch cables, power supply, board etc).. I don't know what your budget is, but I'm guessing that this set up could cost anything upwards of 3-4 grand.. nice if you've got it! A blow if you haven't,

I also assume you have a decent pre-amp to put the effects chain into? If it's decent, it will have built in Noise Reduction, and at least a 12-band EQ. Then, if the front end of your bass has an Active circuit, it will almost certainly have a three-band parametric. EQ.

And you just can't have enough EQ (can you?)

Have you thought about, or tried, putting your Compressor or Limiter units at the end of a chain? Can work well - thanks Shep!

For the record: I use a single effects chain, which might benefit from a loop, and goes like this: -

Active Bass > Octave > Wah > Chorus > Reverb > Delay > Analogizer > Compressor > Preamp > Noise Reduction > EQ > Amp

"Pooh sighed and thought, surely there must be a better way of going down stairs"..

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1340914863' post='1711585']
Ok. If we put to one side any creative or style considerations, then a major factor in the design should be quality of components to avoid increasing noise (effects units, patch cables, power supply, board etc).. I don't know what your budget is, but I'm guessing that this set up could cost anything upwards of 3-4 grand.. nice if you've got it! A blow if you haven't,

[b]It's just an idea at present, not worrying about budget and the like :)[/b]

I also assume you have a decent pre-amp to put the effects chain into? If it's decent, it will have built in Noise Reduction, and at least a 12-band EQ.
[b]Just a TC RH450, love the sound of it, never had a problem with noise and it's a 4 band parametric :)[/b]

Then, if the front end of your bass has an Active circuit, it will almost certainly have a three-band parametric. EQ.
[b]Nope, ACG EQ02 (filter based pre-amp)[/b]

Have you thought about, or tried, putting your Compressor or Limiter units at the end of a chain? Can work well - thanks Shep!
[b]It generally depends what I'm trying to accomplish, for an "all out" sound for my metal band though the notes need to be even (mostly down to me I know but it can be very "widdley" at times) which will drive each effect accordingly. Put the compressor at the end only controls it post effects which wouldn't really help with this. I've got the spectra-comp in the TC aswell though.[/b]

[/quote]