Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT BASS 1969 AMP

herbey11

[color=#000000][font=times, serif][size=3]Hi[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=times new roman, new york, times, serif][size=3]I am [/size][/font][font=times new roman, new york, times, serif]interested[/font][font=times new roman, new york, times, serif][size=3] in buying this amp, but I live in the UK and see it is, AC 117v and 50 hz cycles,whereas the UK is 240V and 60 hz cycles Could I use this in the UK using a transfomer? Is there anything else I would need to use it on UK 240 AC?Hope you will have some positive answers.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=times, serif][size=3]Thanks[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=times, serif][size=3]Chris[/size][/font][/color]

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]According to TC's website it is capable of handling different AC voltages, with the note 'AC power cannot be switched. See authorized dealer/distributor for voltage modification information.'[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]It sounds rather like it can be modified internally to accept UK voltage, but you'd need to check that with TC. Not sure how customs might react if they twig it doesn't meet EU standards though.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1339617520' post='1691682']
[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]According to TC's website it is capable of handling different AC voltages, with the note 'AC power cannot be switched. See authorized dealer/distributor for voltage modification information.'[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]It sounds rather like it can be modified internally to accept UK voltage, but you'd need to check that with TC. Not sure how customs might react if they twig it doesn't meet EU standards though.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Might be better checking on Tech21's website and asking them.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1340117017' post='1699347']
Unfortunately, our new bass amps are not RoHS compliant. The amps would work with a step down transformer. The only drag is that if you do obtain the amp there will be no warranty available in your country.
[/quote]

Are you going to fix the issue or just abandon us?

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1340199090' post='1700879']
I would also be interested in finding out about the mods necessary. I might be looking at getting the VT 1000. Also, what is it about the amps that makes them fail to comply with RoHS?
[/quote]
My [i]guess[/i] is the manufacturing process, particularly the PCBs, likely still uses leaded solder. It's been outlawed in the EU since 2006.

I'm willing to stand corrected, although I'm surprised that a company of Tech21's standing, particularly with their pedals etc does not already have a RoHS process in place.

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1340117017' post='1699347']
Unfortunately, our new bass amps are not RoHS compliant. The amps would work with a step down transformer. The only drag is that if you do obtain the amp there will be no warranty available in your country.
[/quote]

Just a thought - anyone know if a non-compliant amp would pass a PAT test these days?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1340870715' post='1710647']
Just a thought - anyone know if a non-compliant amp would pass a PAT test these days?
[/quote]

ROHS compliance wouldn't affect PAT testing, since the PAT is mostly about safety stuff; earth continuity, polarity, insulation and a visual check for damage. ROHS regulations are about environmental protection during manufacture and disposal, not safety in use. Plenty of older, pre ROHS equipment still passes PAT tests.

Edited by Beer of the Bass