Why become a member? ×

Clanky fretting sound? 80's Precision

cameltoe

Hi guys,

I just acquired an 80's Jap precision from the forum, and as happy as I am with the way it plays, it seems to be the clankiest sounding precision I've ever owned. It really is very metallic sounding when any string makes contact with any fret. At first I thought it was the strings that came with the bass- I usually use Nickel Sunbeams so put a set of those on, and it's no better.

I must stress though, that the sound does not transfer through the amp. It's a lovely and warm, woody sounding bass when plugged in.

I've played with the set-up and got it how I like it, but this is not a problem with the strings choking out or the action being too low-I'm well aware of what that sounds like- It is the normal fretting sound you'd expect from any bass, it's just very extreme!

I wondered if the metal used for the frets could be the cause- did Fender Japan use something like Stainless Steel for frets in the 80's whereas Nickel is more common now?

Odd that the strings didn't sort it. I've just sold an '86 Jap Precision and it seemed about the same as my '08 acoustically. That said I don't play unplugged much! Could well be the fret finish, it's never occurred to me that it'd alter the clankiness before, but I can't think of anything else(bridge, neck wood etc) that wouldn't also be affected by being plugged in.

It's probably not connected but.. I always use Sunbeams but the last set I bought about 8 weeks ago sound terrible on all my Basses. They sound as you describe "very clanky" and thin, not like any of the other sets I've bought in the past. I'm wondering if there's a bad batch out there or that they might have changed them. There is none of the expected warmth that I'm used to.
Just a thought.
B)

Just wondering (and based on guessing about the physics) - this might be to do with the way the frets are attached.  If they were glued in at each end of the fret but not in the middle, you might get a "ringing" of the fret itself - which the strings wouldn't affect, so you could change the strings without affecting the sound.  And since this might allow the manufacturer to halve their fret glue budget, it's the sort of thing they might try.

As I say, that's a guess.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1339543121' post='1690473']
I must stress though, that the sound does not transfer through the amp. It's a lovely and warm, woody sounding bass when plugged in.
[/quote]

Surely what it sounds like through an amp is the important thing?

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1340095927' post='1698881']
Just wondering (and based on guessing about the physics) - this might be to do with the way the frets are attached. If they were glued in at each end of the fret but not in the middle, you might get a "ringing" of the fret itself - which the strings wouldn't affect, so you could change the strings without affecting the sound. And since this might allow the manufacturer to halve their fret glue budget, it's the sort of thing they might try.

As I say, that's a guess.
[/quote]

I'd expect that sort of cost cutting, poor quality construction from Fender US, but I'd be surprised at that approach being taken with the Japanese models.

Sounds like a string thing, as there are now two of you already posting similar experiences with the same strings. I think I`d get a different brand of string to find out - stick them on, try it, take them off and sell them on here - you`ll only lose a fiver or so, and at least you`ll know.

Glueing frets along the whole length is not a great idea as re-frets can destroy the board if too much glue is used. Glue on the ends is normal, it just stops the ends from popping up. I doubt very much that the frets are steel, i may be wrong. The finish may be the thing affecting the sound.

Cheers guys,

I don't think it's the strings, as it was happening before I put the sunbeams on and the results are the same.

It's the strangest thing, and I noticed it as soon as I played it for the first time. I've owned a few maple neck basses now and none have sounded like this unplugged- it's almost as if there is something loose somewhere- I could be convinced the core of the string is rattling around inside the wrap, for instance, but it can't be.

Maybe the frets are slightly loose?

Check the A-string. Sometimes, due to the design, the A can vibrate about a bit in the nut, causing this. The lower the string is on the tuner, the better for getting rid of this. Mute the A (or even take it off) then play, see if the problem has gone.