Why become a member? ×

1978 Gibson Ripper#SOLD#

Gareth Hughes

Hey Ho Folks -

Here's my 1978 Gibson Ripper for sale. (That's as close a date as I could get online. If anyone can decipher Gibson's serial numbers please let me know if this is different).

Has a great slim and incredibly straight neck. Bridge is very adjustable and stable.

All original except for the bridge pickup. Didn't work when I bought it so had a new one made by Kent Armstrong. Aaron took a mold of the old pickup, so it came with string marks and all.

Doesn't have the ashtray cover for the bridge.

Looking for £600 + shipping.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='182074' date='Apr 21 2008, 06:33 PM']Hey Ho Folks -

Here's my 1978 Gibson Ripper for sale. (That's as close a date as I could get online. If anyone can decipher Gibson's serial numbers please let me know if this is different).

Has a great slim and incredibly straight neck. Bridge is very adjustable and stable.

All original except for the bridge pickup. Didn't work when I bought it so had a new one made by Kent Armstrong. Aaron took a mold of the old pickup, so it came with string marks and all.

Doesn't have the ashtray cover for the bridge.

Looking for £600 + shipping.[/quote]

Very cool & very tempting!
:)
Where are you based?

Serial Number:
[b]71028045[/b] =
It was the 45th instrument made on the 102nd day of 1978 at Kalamazoo.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='183900' date='Apr 23 2008, 03:40 PM']does the "SECOND" stamp indicate that it was a factory second when it was produced?[/quote]

I *think* this was added when there was a flaw in the paint/finish. Rather than re-finish the while guitar they were sold at a discount.
But don't quote me on that!
:)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='183908' date='Apr 23 2008, 03:48 PM']Rick Danko's Ghost is telling me to buy this.....must.......resist.........[/quote]

I love Danko. He's so cool. One of my all time heroes.
I got his 'how to play bass' DVD off eBay recently - great stuff...

Hey 99ster

Thanks for all the info. I'm based in Co.Down, N.Ireland.

Yup, Danko is too cool, has some amazing lines and counter-melodies. Almost makes me want to hold onto the Ripper. That, and incurring the wrath of The God Of Thunder.

(and Rock and Row-ow-oll)

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='finnbass' post='185986' date='Apr 26 2008, 04:14 PM']You'd really need the shirt as well and they just don't make 'em like that any more :)[/quote]

Sadly they do - it's just that you don't get to see them coz my wife buys them all for me.