Why become a member? ×

Stageclix Jack Wireless... hiss?

chrismuzz

Well, mine finally arrived this morning....

The first thing I noticed when plugging it in was that there's a constant INCREDIBLY LOUD hissing sound through my cab. I tried the unit daisy chained on my pedalboard power supply with pedals after it in he signal chain. I then tried unplugging all pedals from the supply, and just running the wireless to the amp, and then I tried using the power supply that came with the Stageclix... Both with AND without pedals in the signal chain. No change! This is with a passive bass too! I A/B'd with cable/stageclix and there is no noise at all when using a cable...

Also, I'm not sure if i'm imagining it or not but the bass tone seemed a tiny bit thinner than when using the cable?

Really disappointed with this as I'd been GASing for this thing for as long as I can remember, and after waiting a month for it I find out it's pretty much useless... :(

Have I got a faulty unit? Or are they really this bad?

Edited by chrismuzz

I've been extensively googling and it seems there are one or two others out there who have had the same issues as me, which were identified by Stageclix as faulty units. They said they'd been sent replacements, but stopped posting before actually saying if the replacement unit actually worked properly. Bugger! I've fired an email off to them anyways to see what they say! Looks like I'm gonna be wired for some considerable time :(

I've tried one of these and it was as clear as a bell without a trace of hiss at all.

I was able to make it distort with a very powerful active bass with all the onboard tonal options whacked on full. I'd never do this in actual playing situation though so it wouldn't bother me.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1339266679' post='1686185']
I've tried one of these and it was as clear as a bell without a trace of hiss at all.

I was able to make it distort with a very powerful active bass with all the onboard tonal options whacked on full. I'd never do this in actual playing situation though so it wouldn't bother me.
[/quote]

Cheers for the input buddy, a small ray of hope that i might just have received a dodgy one! Though part of me is hoping it's just my wireless router interfering with it... That's the one variable i forgot to test... :unsure:

I have had my Stageclix for a couple of years now and used it on many different basses!

It doesnt like some Active basses but is fine with others. --My GL L2000 buzzed badly with it, but my Fender active Jazz and my Landing L1 EMG active were fine.

Never had any problems with passive at all!

Will.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339269525' post='1686250']
Cheers for the input buddy, a small ray of hope that i might just have received a dodgy one! Though part of me is hoping it's just my wireless router interfering with it... That's the one variable i forgot to test... :unsure:
[/quote]

Would that not be cleaned up by changing channels? (if it has them I've never used one)

I use a Sennheiser that StevieFenderP sold me and anything that interferes is always sorted with a change of channel. I'm really surprised to hear that the Stageclix is being noisy cos the Sennheiser is silent - especially with Peev Inter 5 pickups (I dare say you know how quiet they can be!)

I've even been a proper lazy arse and thrown the transmitter behind the control plate on the Peev and put a 3.5 jack in for recharge. I'm starting to enjoy "that bloke's miming!"

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1339326172' post='1686758']
Would that not be cleaned up by changing channels? (if it has them I've never used one)
[/quote]

Actually this thing has 12 channels! I never knew that until I bought it. But alas,no luck :(

I'm currently exchanging emails with Andres on their support team, sent him a sample of the noise etc so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1339326172' post='1686758']
I've even been a proper lazy arse and thrown the transmitter behind the control plate on the Peev and put a 3.5 jack in for recharge. I'm starting to enjoy "that bloke's miming!"
[/quote]

Haha brilliant :lol:

Awaiting a response from the Stageclix technical team at the moment...

In the meantime I tried using it at rehearsal. Still hissed but while using the noise gate on my B3 it wasn't as noticeable... Going to see what happens on a pub gig this Saturday!

[quote]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]
Hi Chris,[/size][/font][/color]

This is *****, one of the designers of the system. Hope I can do something to help.[/size][/font][/color]

Sometimes, noise can be transferred in the effect chain by coupling of power supply lines etc.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]
Also, some effects still have circuitry active even when they are switched ‘off’.[/size][/font][/color]
Could you please check the stageclix set – without- any effects, so straight from the jack receiver to the amp? Also, remove power supplies from other effects. Sometimes the power supply or power supply wires are the source of interference, so really just the set, away from any other equipment.[/size][/font][/color]

When the noise is still present, we will take it from there. When the noise is gone, we can start adding effects and power supplies untill we determine which part is causing the noise. Sometimes it is just the way systems are interfering with each other.[/size][/font][/color]

One more thing: bass amplifiers themselves can generate a lot of noise too as modern amplifiers contain switching power supplies. So the amplifiers itself or the power cable going to the amplifier might be the noise source too.[/size][/font][/color]
I have seen this kind of issues with equipment not being compatible with each other. Sometimes it is as simple as re-routing power cables or change power supplies.[/size][/font][/color]

Please let me know if this helps![/size][/font][/color]

Best regards,[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]
******[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

And my reply:

[quote]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]Hi ******, thanks for getting in touch![/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
In the video as you could see I was testing the unit with my pedals, sharing the power supply with them. I also tested the Stageclix using the power supply that came with it (with no other units sharing the supply), directly from my bass and directly into my amp with no change unfortunately.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
The level of noise when running through my pedalboard with all effects disengaged is usually zero if I use a cable, and the amount of noise WITH the Stageclix system was identical on and off the pedalboard.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
I even tried running the signal through an audio interface, and through a pair of AKG Studio Headphones. The level of noise was not as high as they did not have a frequency response of up to 20kHz like my bass speaker cabinet does, but it was still very much there.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
I also tested the unit at a band rehearsal studio a couple of days ago and the results were the same.[/size][/font][/color]
I purchased the unit on the strength of the many positive reviews I have heard and read about, and even since getting the problem I have spoken to other bass players who own a unit themselves. All three of which are overjoyed and have said that their Stageclix systems are 100% silent. This is what makes me wonder if I have been unlucky enough to receive a faulty unit. [/size][/font][/color]
is there anything else you can suggest?[/size][/font][/color]
Thanks,[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
Chris[/size][/font][/color][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma][size=3]
[/quote][/size][/font][/color]

Another reply from them!

[quote]
Hello Chris,[/size][/font][/color]
Hearing your experiences, it seems that you indeed have a faulty system. I do not want to claim we are faultless, it is just such a rare phenomenon and it ‘sounded’ like an occurence some time ago where the bass power amplifier had such a ‘dirty’ power supply that it interfered with the system. The stageclix itself was not the problem, and split power supplies solved the issue.[/size][/font][/color]
Now we need to determine if it is the transmitter or receiver. Could you test to ‘short’ the input, that is short circuiting it with a wire or tin foil and switch on the transmitter?[/size][/font][/color]
When the noise does not decrease, it is probably the receiver. When it does, the noise surpression of the transmitter migth be broken. We will replace the transmitter and you should be fine![/size][/font][/color]
Thanks,[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]
******[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]
[/quote][/size][/font][/color]
Interesting, I never knew the transmitter had a noise suppressor in it![/size][/font][/color]
Does anybody here know how exactly I can short circuit the input? I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks in advance! :)[/size][/font][/color]

Hi mate

I seem to be having the same problem as you :(

I don't suppose you'd pm me the contact details of the person you are dealing with?

I had mine delivered from bass direct on 06/06/2012

This is after I first purchased one from dolphin music where the transmitter didn't work or switch on whatsoever, they couldn't get me a new one so I had a refund and went to bass direct.

As soon as the the power supply plugs into the receiver and is switched on the hiss/noise comes loud through the speakers. I have tried this direct as well as through my normal rig, same both times and the same at gigs at 3 different venues. It also causes my Korg pitch-black tuner to make a large popping sound when switched on/off.

All in all I'm really dissapointed in the £400 product (this being my 2nd one)

Thanks

John

Edited by synyster_slash

Really surprised to hear these issues.

I use mine and if anything is quieter than using a cable and absolutely no change in tone. Some of you will know how insanely massive my effects set up is (22-26 pedals/units depending on the gig) and still no hiss etc that is not expected from a signal chain as long as mine.

Chris - was yours from Bass Direct too? Maybe a few made together with defective components?

Shep

I got my one from Anderton's. They had to order it in for me as they'd run out so it's brand new. I got it at the beginning of June.

I discovered that the majority of the noise is actually coming from having my Zoom B3 on the same power supply daisy chain as everything else... I'm going to get a Virtual Battery to isolate that and sort it out However there IS still a noticeable degree of noise coming from the Stageclix, even when on its own power supply and without pedals in the chain. It's not loud but you can definitely tell its there. Been troubleshooting with one of the designers and we've found out its the receiver and not the transmitter making the noise.

Shep, didn't you say using a True Bypass pedal right after the Stageclix causes loud popping sounds? That might be what's happening to John. Sounds like he's having even more hiss than me though! If you say yours is quieter than a cable then I must have a duff one too!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340376408' post='1703699']
Shep, didn't you say using a True Bypass pedal right after the Stageclix causes loud popping sounds? That might be what's happening to John. Sounds like he's having even more hiss than me though! If you say yours is quieter than a cable then I must have a duff one too!
[/quote]

Wow, Really?? That would have been a dealbreaker on whether I even considered buying one in the first place seeing as I run 2 pedals before the amp...A true bypass tuner and a true bypass wah!

I have a voodoo lab PP2+ on the way so will have to see what happens with that, but as I said even going direct I was still getting problems.

[quote name='synyster_slash' timestamp='1340377295' post='1703721']
... going direct I was still getting problems.
[/quote]

When just going direct would you say the hiss is still loud? Mine isnt but it's still noticeably more so than using a cable at anything near gigging level

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340378021' post='1703746']
When just going direct would you say the hiss is still loud? Mine isnt but it's still noticeably more so than using a cable at anything near gigging level
[/quote]

No, I guess I wouldn't say loud....but I know what my rig normally sounds like and it was instantly noticeable in comparison. I use a Blackstar s1-104 and even the very high gain sounds normally have minimal noise.

I compared the difference simply by turning off the power to the reciever

Edited by synyster_slash

[quote name='synyster_slash' timestamp='1340378210' post='1703755']
I compared the difference simply by turning off the power to the reciever
[/quote]

And theres noticeably more hiss than with a cable right?

And if you are running from Guitar > Stageclix > amp: does the noise subside when you press the button on the transmitter to turn it off?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340378553' post='1703766']
And theres noticeably more hiss than with a cable right?

And if you are running from Guitar > Stageclix > amp: does the noise subside when you press the button on the transmitter to turn it off?
[/quote]

Yes and yes I think so. (my rig is at rehearsal atm but I think it did)

To the OP. You've been incredibly patient with this. Had it been me, I'd have sent it straight back saying that the noise was unacceptable and that if it's a fault I'd like one that works properly by return, or if they all sound like that I'd like my money back.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340438138' post='1704377']
You've been incredibly patient with this.
[/quote]

Haha thanks man!

I'd always wanted to go wireless but I was put off by the limitations like frequency range, interference, changing batteries etc... This seemed like the PERFECT solution on paper, truly the only wireless kit I'd be fully comfortable using. I guess the reason I'm being so patient is because I'm desperate for it to be everything I hoped!

I've actually managed to use it on gigs using a gate aswell! Hope all this sacrifice pays off ;)