Why become a member? ×

Double Bass in 'Pop'

NJE

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1338935454' post='1681509']
Dig. I also really love the idea of Ed Friedland's "open string bounce" - good way to move quickly up the neck!

(Edit - not that Ed was the first or only guy to think of this, just he has a good name for it)
[/quote]
Yeah, I forgot to mention that.

Also, remember that It's a really good double bass that has all the positions on all the strings at the same volume/tone/sustain level. I've got four and haven't quite found it yet. So it's a case of knowing your bass well, finding its strengths and weaknesses and how/where it likes to be played. If you play in the flat keys as I do most of my time you'll be playing a lot on stopped strings but the open strings are an integral part of the pentatonic scale - in passing if you like. If I play a lot of opens I find I damp them with my left hand .

I'd suggest listening to Danny Thompson's playing with John Martyn, Richard Thompson and Darryl Scott's live album. These have been a great source of inspiration to me.

Also, some of the early Van Morrison albums had some great DB playing.

I'm looking forward to exploring some of the artists others have mentioned above.

Some really great suggestions everyone, I have taken note and I will be listening through and making myself a playlist of my favourites to play along to.

I am also playing along to 'normal' bass parts as well but I like to hear the double bass on the record as well. I am trying to learn the fretboard at the moment and I am finding that figuring songs out on the upright helps rather than go to my musicman first to figure something out. I amjust trying to immerse myself in the upright, the same approach that finally got me playing 5 strings.

I find that the stuff I play on electric and double bass are completely different. With very few exceptions, I see very little commonality, conceptually, between the two instruments and lines that work on eb are different to those that work on db. I am hearing a different thing entirely.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1338894178' post='1680587']
Guillemots? Skip to 1:10...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EaAYi64Rpo[/media]
[/quote]

Well she's definitely playing DB in the video.

What she actually played on the accompanying recording is anyone's guess ...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1338988726' post='1682005']
I find that the stuff I play on electric and double bass are completely different. With very few exceptions, I see very little commonality, conceptually, between the two instruments and lines that work on eb are different to those that work on db. I am hearing a different thing entirely.
[/quote]
To me, it depends on which type of music I'm playing. I much prefer the DB for jazz and latin music, but playing fingerstyle funk lines on a DB, while possible, is bloody hard work and doesn't sound as good IMHO. Having said that, I managed to play a passable version of Cissy Strut by the Meters last night because I couldn't arsed to get my BG out....