Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GK 210MBE - how good are they for the money?

obbm

We've just put together a house band for one of the local Jams doing one week in three. I don't mind using either my GK MB200 or the MB Fusion but as stage space is at an absolute premium I don't really want to drag the Schroeder 21012 along.

I've been looking at low-ish cost/lightish cab(s) and came across quite a lot of discussion and love for the GK 210MBE cabs a few months back. How are folks getting on with them as they still seem to be amazing value for money?

Very good value for money IME. :) I doubt you'll be disappointed and I'm sure some owners will be along shortly to sing their praises.

I don't think I've ever really heard a bad word against them. A lot of people don't like the lack of bracing but you get what you pay for and they really are good for the money.

Value for money .... certainly.

However, they are a budget range. I have read stories of poor damping (affecting low frequecies mainly) and general lightness of build. However, this is surely no surprise. Can't get something for nothing.

No direct experience from me though.

Edited by hamfist

Thanks for the comments. Now been looking at the GK Neo210 - the wedge shaped one. That has a good spec, good reviews and quite light so might be a better choice as I can see other uses for it.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1338833223' post='1679818']
Thanks for the comments. Now been looking at the GK Neo210 - the wedge shaped one. That has a good spec, good reviews and quite light so might be a better choice as I can see other uses for it.
[/quote]

I just picked up two of these to use with my MB500, and they are excellent cabs. I think GK have discontinued them now though - give Mansions a shout, they may have some left.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1338833223' post='1679818']
[/quote]

They're great cabs, I use the 212s and can't fault them. Whether or not you think the premium is worth it is up to you, most of the materials are the same afaik between the two cabs, the main difference is bracing and damping to give you a slightly more solid tone.

Thought I'd paste my reply to your PM earlier obbm... Didn't notice this thread of yours!...

I bought 2 GK MBE 2x10's about 6 months ago....

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] For the price, they are definitely great value. There is no doubt of that.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Am I happy?.... [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They tick a lot of boxes in a variety of gigging situations... Punchy, good height for audibility when stacked, Soo lightweight![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For me, they work best with my GK RB1001 head...makes them more meaty sounding.. The Genz Benz Neo-Pak head, I also have, gives a more precise but a bit of a 'diet' tone... Which doesn't suit my live needs as well.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do sometimes have an issue with what feels like a frequency from the boxes... a slight boom that is not controllable with EQ... this might be in my head after reading the many batting/bracing verses none arguments about these particular cabs... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have discussed the pros & cons of them with an engineer friend of mine ... He suggests that we experiment with adding batting, which I think I will try....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My preference for overall tone is my Aguilar GS112's.... when comparing gig to gig the two rigs, the Aggies are just warmer & sweeter...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If Aguilar ever make neo 10's, in a price range that wasn't wallet crippling, I'd be wagging my tail![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The GK MBE's are good.... I have a bass playing mate who is really happy with his combo version... So it is all very subjective, as usual![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll experiment with them some more... I think the batting might make the difference for me, lets see....[/font][/color]

[quote name='bottomfeed' timestamp='1338932041' post='1681423']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif].....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I do sometimes have an issue with what feels like a frequency from the boxes... a slight boom that is not controllable with EQ... this might be in my head after reading the many batting/bracing verses none arguments about these particular cabs... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have discussed the pros & cons of them with an engineer friend of mine ... He suggests that we experiment with adding batting, which I think I will try....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif].....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll experiment with them some more... I think the batting might make the difference for me, lets see...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'd like to hear more about the effects of this when you try it, if possible? I'm considering getting one or two of these myself because of their size and weight and if this makes a big difference i'll look into doing it myself.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1338976920' post='1681780']
I'd like to hear more about the effects of this when you try it, if possible? I'm considering getting one or two of these myself because of their size and weight and if this makes a big difference i'll look into doing it myself.

Liam
[/quote]

Will try to sort this as soon as I can.... My engineer friend is also the main man for a large PA company, Very busy guy... away a lot.. Not being so 'sciencey' as him, I want him to supervise (...& he has access to materials to do the job, for free!)

I seem to remember from all the talk about this on[b] Bass Talk[/b], Anyone who did add batting & or bracing reported that it ALWAYS improved the sound of the cabs...

so I am hopeful that I will be very happy with the result....

There`s a thread on this on Talkbass, with one of the 410s from the same range, and the guy who added the bracing showed photos of what he did. He stated that it tightened up the sound a lot, and reduced the booming.