Why become a member? ×

Just won this on Fleabay.. any idea's what it is? ***UPDATE FOR PICS***

Nibody

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1339162508' post='1684656']
The thing about these type of unfinished projects, is that you stand a good chance of getting a real piece of crap. [/quote]
That's why my last project, the Telecaster Bass, was made out of only genuine Fender and Squier parts :D

Also the Headstock has a pronounced forwards lean.. whether this is because of the wood warping or a design fault.. dont know. meant A string wasnt seating in the nut. Had to add a string tree (there was a hole for one there already!?). Neck itself is gorgeous to play, has adjusted nicely, still needs a bit of tweaking though.. search continues...

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339236054' post='1685638']
More searching... looking at the Tuners its pointing towards the factory that made Washburns and Aria's - possibly Matsumoko?
[/quote]
The tuners won't tell you very much on their own unfortunately. There were a lot of generic parts used on japcrap and they turn up on the instruments of many different factories. Matsumoku used the same tuners on some models as were used on UK made Shergolds, for instance.

Ah right. I know the tuner config (2 screws on back, nut on front above ferule) was used extensively by washburn - My XS-4 has the same type of set-up but not with clover leafs. The only other basses I've found in my trawling with this set-up (apart from Washburn, who used Matsumoku for manufacturing) are Early-ish Aria's (Who also had production from Matsumoku).

I bought a bass and recieved a Mystery!! Where's Scooby Doo when you need him (Though I'd prefer Daphne...)

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339293000' post='1686580']
Thats a 60s Fender p bass but its had the logo sanded off with his black &decker drill....
[/quote]

LOL...

Might take it to my uncles and pop it in the loft...

Well, I've at least identified the tuners - Gotoh. Pictured bellow the " Res-O-Lite" version. Or at least a very good copy of. Bridge may also be Gotoh too.

Edited by Nibody

I got a similar one, extra screw in the middle of the scratchplate, holes for a pickup cover and and a thumbrest, same bridge, same tuners, same hole in the heel of the neck - which I've replaced with a Mighty Mite Jazz one now. A good hefty (very hefty) Bass that plays well, Pups werent great, but I replaced them with Kent Armstrong vintages, Made a hell of a difference btw.

I love it, but I've been trying to find out who made it for years. I thought it was a Hondo as well. If you ever do find out for sure, could you let me know ? Never heard of Musima myself.

[i]Edit..[/i] Just a thought, but does it have a sort of plastic bung on the back of the body behind the bridge ?

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339443148' post='1688630']
I got a similar one, extra screw in the middle of the scratchplate, holes for a pickup cover and and a thumbrest, same bridge, same tuners, same hole in the heel of the neck - which I've replaced with a Mighty Mite Jazz one now. A good hefty (very hefty) Bass that plays well, Pups werent great, but I replaced them with Kent Armstrong vintages, Made a hell of a difference btw.

I love it, but I've been trying to find out who made it for years. I thought it was a Hondo as well. If you ever do find out for sure, could you let me know ? Never heard of Musima myself.

[i]Edit..[/i] Just a thought, but does it have a sort of plastic bung on the back of the body behind the bridge ?
[/quote]

oddly enough yes it does! Did you're original neck have an odd forwards angle? Trying to find out if mine has just warped near the nut.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339445210' post='1688698']
oddly enough yes it does! Did you're original neck have an odd forwards angle? Trying to find out if mine has just warped near the nut.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by forwards angle. Just got the neck out of the loft to have a look. Heres some pics of the Bass as it is now, and of the neck.

[attachment=110178:Image002.jpg]

[attachment=110179:Image003.jpg]

[attachment=110180:Image004.jpg]

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339445919' post='1688715']
Not sure what you mean by forwards angle. Just got the neck out of the loft to have a look. Heres some pics of the Bass as it is now, and of the neck.

[attachment=110178:Image002.jpg]

[attachment=110179:Image003.jpg]

[attachment=110180:Image004.jpg]
[/quote]

The neck is straight right up to the nut on adjustment. The headstock itself is angled forwards - on mine the A string doesnt seat properly - not helped by the fact that at some point someone has done a hatchet job on the nut so the strings are sitting way too low.

Looking like "they" may be VERY early Ibanez P copies - closest I can currently find is one called a "Kopy Kat".

Only difference with mine is it has a "Wheel of Fortune" truss rod adjuster

Edited by Nibody

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339448620' post='1688774']
The neck is straight right up to the nut on adjustment. The headstock itself is angled forwards - on mine the A string doesnt seat properly - not helped by the fact that at some point someone has done a hatchet job on the nut so the strings are sitting way too low.

Looking like "they" may be VERY early Ibanez P copies - closest I can currently find is one called a "Kopy Kat".

[/quote]
[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339448620' post='1688774']

[/quote]

Looks like the wheel has come off. Just hooked the old neck out of the loft and yeah, its got a forward tilt, Wonder why. Hadnt noticed that before

I do remember Kopy Kat copies being around, little round badge/logo. thought they were a Woolies or catalogue brand.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339513006' post='1689607'] Looks like the wheel has come off. Just hooked the old neck out of the loft and yeah, its got a forward tilt, Wonder why. Hadnt noticed that before I do remember Kopy Kat copies being around, little round badge/logo. thought they were a Woolies or catalogue brand. [/quote]

They were apparently made by Ibanez. Does yours have the same tuners as mine?

Yrah, Goto lookalikes. I broke one last winter and somebody on here very kindly found me half of one so I could repair it. They look ancient, but are smooth and stay in tune. and have outlasted the ones on my Fender which were knackered after about 10 years.

Same Bridge as well. There is also a hole under the neckplate, I wonder if there was a version with an adjustable rake ?

I remember Kopy Kats, but cant remember ever playing one. The Logo badge looked cheap and narsty, bit like a top Twenty...Now they [i]were[/i] really crap.. I would have thought an Ibanez would have had a S/No. somewhere.

Edited by BRANCINI

I think a lot of them used the same production facilities. Mine has a sort of "two-tone" Headstock. Seen the same on an Ibanez bass. The history of Jap Crap seems to include a lot of incest!!

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339536921' post='1690312']
I think a lot of them used the same production facilities. Mine has a sort of "two-tone" Headstock. Seen the same on an Ibanez bass. The history of Jap Crap seems to include a lot of incest!!
[/quote]

My old Eros Jazz has the same two tome headstock, but with the truss rod adjuster at the head end and , completely different - Gibson style - tuners though. Probably a just way of getting more necks per tree by glueing on the bottom part.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1339530939' post='1690123']
Yrah, Goto lookalikes. I broke one last winter and somebody on here very kindly found me half of one so I could repair it. They look ancient, but are smooth and stay in tune. and have outlasted the ones on my Fender which were knackered after about 10 years.

Same Bridge as well. There is also a hole under the neckplate, I wonder if there was a version with an adjustable rake ?

I remember Kopy Kats, but cant remember ever playing one. The Logo badge looked cheap and narsty, bit like a top Twenty...Now they [i]were[/i] really crap.. I would have thought an Ibanez would have had a S/No. somewhere.
[/quote]

I'm guessing that when they were sold on to a distributer (Pretty much the same with chinese bass's now) they left the factory without identifying marks so the distributer could apply their own serial number(if required) and logo. Some were just removed in the days before people realised how good they were. I read a piece about US customs seizing containers full of unbranded Japcrap's during the lawsuit era. Guess we'll never know. Determined to find out though. The hardware and quality is quite high so I am guessing they're from the Matsumoku factory.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339565571' post='1690528']
I'm guessing that when they were sold on to a distributer (Pretty much the same with chinese bass's now) they left the factory without identifying marks so the distributer could apply their own serial number(if required) and logo. Some were just removed in the days before people realised how good they were. I read a piece about US customs seizing containers full of unbranded Japcrap's during the lawsuit era. Guess we'll never know. Determined to find out though. The hardware and quality is quite high so I am guessing they're from the Matsumoku factory.
[/quote]
It's definitely not a Mat as they had 3 piece quarter sawn necks. Although the MIJ stamp on the neckplate is used on pre-'75 FujiGen (the makers for Ibanez and others) they were less accurate copies - tele style single coils were common. I can't remember seeing the wheel of fortune on a FujiGen, especially on a more accurate copy like yours.

Where's Jon when you need him!

• 2 years later...

Hey fellow basschaters finally found some information i have a musima action bass too. Truss rod wheel at the bottom of the neck sunburst paint, lovely crackled neck its like a bassball bat love it it also has a hole in the bottom of the neck seems it was made in ddr in the 80's it more than likely that it was made in the musima factory in eastern germany