Why become a member? ×

Do you use a metronome when you gig?

4 Strings

I've been in a rock band which used a click for the drummer for some tracks to stay accurate with pads etc on backing tracks, this isn't my point.

I've long held the view that I don't know how good a drummer is from his warm up but need him to hold a tempo after fills/changes etc.

But, more recently, I think I must be getting old, I'm noticing changing tempo more and more and also getting irritated by songs being played at the wrong tempo. Fortunately my drummer is sympathetic (well, in that he is also irritated by it but blames me) and he has started to use a metronome (in flashing mode) at rehearsals and gigs for counting us in. This has brought me great joy.

Does anyone else use a metronome for simple tempo setting or are we anal (or simply crap)?

Edited by 4 Strings

good question. I think my tempo is usually ok on the drums but sometimes I get the timing a bit wrong when I count in and confuse everyone lol. I think the only reason I would use one at a gig is if we had to sync with computer/MIDI triggered aux parts or effects.

Edited by EdwardHimself

How often do you rehearse? We do 3 hours every weekend (just because we like to, rather than need to) and I can't ever see us not knowing the right tempo to stick to; the songs are ours to begin with and they're just too well rehearsed. I could imagine, however, that if you were in a more 'everybody learn their parts at home and turn up to the gig prepared' kind of covers/function band, it might be handy to ensure everybody was going at the same pace that they'd learned the songs at.

Yes, the second case is more the thing. I hate it when a groove number goes too fast, people don't really get into it to dance. Its normally early in the gig when the band has yet to settle down.

We've had it the other way round too when a song slogs and the singers are giving all sorts of 'Giddy up' signals.

I know the tempos are very carefully selected (there's a lovely youtube thing - only sound - of 8 takes of River Deep with Tina Turner at slightly different tempos until the producer was happy) and when things are right the performance really sits nicely.

Drummer in my main lot uses a metronome to set speeds, though feel tends to take over so we probably move around it a bit.

For me, particularly towards the end of the night when I would prefer the set to flow a bit more I find it bit of an annoyance at times to get to the end of a song only to have to wait while the new tempo is dialled in before we start the next one. Probably doesn't take that long, but to me it sometimes feels interminable, particularly if the crowd has been up enjoying itself and starts to drift off looking confused in the gap :(

We use a click live...mostly it sets the tempo of the track as absolute and pre-determined... and the drummer keeps to that.
We don't currently use sequences so we would have license to move things but the drummer's discipline and time is very good.

Strict tempo is very important to us as we do quite a few slow numbers

Old age and forgetfulness (can't remember the correct word...) aren't helping, so I'm looking into getting a Rhythm Watch or similar, essentially for getting the tempo right for the intro. Our main guitar (the eldest son...) gets quite annoyed when it's either a tad fast or slow ([i]his [/i]perception...), and this would ensure an independent measure (it was too fast/slow - No it wasn't - Yes it was etc...). I'd be interested in anyone selling a Yamaha Clickstation; PM..?

Edited by Dad3353