Why become a member? ×

Fretless string gauges - fretless experts?

Sibob

Hi guys,

I have my fretless on the way soon, and just trying to decide on initial string gauge.
I use 50-110 on my Precision and 45-105 on my Jazzes....the fretless on the way is a P/J
Any benefit to one set over the other where fretless is concerned?

Thanks
Si

I'm not a fretless expert! But, personally I like heavy gauge on my fretted basses and lighter gauge on my fretless. You will have to experiment, I found it much easier to get the sounds I wanted from the lighter gauge strings on the fretboard. I have big hands and big fingers too which I guess has an impact on all this.

Just my opinion, have fun!

Edited by mentalextra

Lighter gauge strings are good for a more expressive tone on fretless. Heavier gauge for more thump and less mwah. Setup is also a critical factor in generating the tone you're looking for, much more so on a fretless than a fretted IMO. I'm no expert, just learning as I go by trying things out and finding what suits me. Be interesting to see what the fretless gurus of BC have to say!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty much exclusively on fretless 5ers.. mostly I'm on 45-105 +130 gauge-wise on rounds, flats, and half-rounds. I also use Picato black nylons which are thicker (50-130) but lower tension.
Probably not a helpful thing to say, but I love 'em all! I used to use 40-100 +125, as they were the only set I could find for a long time to go on a headless 5) but way prefer the tone of the slightly heavier sets.