Why become a member? ×

going solo?

so my latest musical venture appears to be sort of fading out, due to the old classic reason that some members want to do a certain vibe of music and the others wanting to do something totally opposite.

ive now got to the point that i am fed up of having to deal with the endless discussions about what the band should sound like, as well as having loads of my songs rejected because the guitarist didnt like the vibe.

basically im considering going out on my own, and building a band behind me to pretty much just support me rather than help me write songs etc, so that i can give the material i have stockpiled some air time, rather than have to worry about everyone agreeing on the bands style or song choice.

has anyone else ever done this? have you ever had any trouble with people not wanting to be part of someone elses band or be there backing band etc. just looking for advice from the collective wisdom of basschat as to whether its a wise/good idea to do it

I've done it the other way. Just turn up and play for an originals band. They gave me the bass lines I played them.

Are you planning on writing everything, drum lines etc or are you planning on getting some input from the others? I think there will be very few musicains willing to do that for free.

It's quite refreshing though to play in a unit where all you do is turn up.

Edited by TimR

I've done the turn up and play thing but generally just one off gigs with random bands, it's hassle free & good money but I'm not sure I could commit to playing in somebody else's band all the time & give up control over what I play unless I was being paid for each gig & rehearsal.

I'd play for a band that's happy to right the material :)

I kinda do it the way you're suggesting with experiment fail but it's not planning on carrying on that way.

If you're looking at playing something other than bass for that particular band then feel free to give me a shout :)

Edited by charic

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338291945' post='1672164']
Are you planning on writing everything, drum lines etc or are you planning on getting some input from the others? I think there will be very few musicains willing to do that for free.
[/quote]

plus the one

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338291945' post='1672164']
I've done it the other way. Just turn up and play for an originals band. They gave me the bass lines I played them.

It's quite refreshing though to play in a unit where all you do is turn up.
[/quote]

as it stands i have written everything, all the need to do is turn up

I can relate to being fed up with guitarists dictating what the band sounds like, how to play the basslines and basically you just being there as a backing musician in "their" band..

Go out and find the musicians you need to play what you want..consider NO GUITARISTS at all - how about drums/bass/sax??

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1338297134' post='1672283']
as it stands i have written everything, all the need to do is turn up
[/quote]

i think the musicians playing the parts you'd written would be quite justified in asking to be paid.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338300154' post='1672340']
Go for it. But all I can think is, your sick of being treated this way, but quite happy to do it to some onn else?
[/quote]

my view is that im being upfront and open to start with, saying these are the songs that will be played, rather than saying that there is a mutual writing and everyone has input, and then every idea put forward by someone being rejected.

the issue i have with the current band is that i do all the work for it, book the gigs, organise the gigs on the night, plug the band, sort out the radio air play etc, only for the guitard to discount my songs because they are not his bag.

i guess im just fed up of churning out ideas and do work and basically ending up not getting my ideas heard. its massively frustrating

Indeed. I think that's really the issue. Starting up a band with sole control isn't really the way to go unless you have something to give the other musicians. Be that money or creative input.

Unless you are a very talented writer/arranger you need a guitarist to play like a guitarist and a drummer to play like a drummer not a guitarist to play like a bass player playing guitar etc.

I wouldn't be too fussy about having strong control over it as it will probably drive you mad. Guitarists have a habit of improvising at every opportunity.

I think, if I was in your shoes, I would look for a different band to be apart of. There are plenty of people out there who value the benifits of a pool of talent. If someone doesn't like your vibe and you are not happy, take the time to find others that are. I think you are giving up too easily and a musical dictatorship (too strong?) sounds like a hiding to nothing. Your troups will get as fed up as you are now, regardless of what they may have signed up for.

I suggest you find a guitarist who plays or played bass. They will know where you are coming from.

As I think others have already indicated with other words:

Case 1:
You're a great composer or arranger in the players' eyes - giving them a lot of fun. You organise. You're the natural center of the band.
For some time, people will want to play with you because of this. Some time later, the demand for wages comes up like a steel glove. You get trouble.

Case 2:
You're just another bloke, or your uniqueness is not recognised.
You're in for a lot of work, a lot of trouble and a lot of conflict.

So:
Go for it if you know exactly what you're doing. But since you asked the question, I think you're already indicating that you do not know exactly.

(BTW, personally, I've done the case 1 thing many times, but only for projects with limited time scope.
Every constellation for the longer term has given me a MUCH more modest position.
YMMV and allsorts of course.)

Edited by BassTractor