Why become a member? ×

Zing and sparkle for £300?

Doc B

I've recently sold my Eden Nemesis NC410 combo (4x10 + tweeter) and took an Ashdown electric Blue 130 (1x12) in PX as I didn't want to be ampless and I've liked playing through these wee amps before.

Now I've had the EB130 for a few weeks I miss the high end sparkle that seems to come with HF Horn/tweeter equipped combos.

So I'm considering moving the Ashdown on and getting something of a similar size but with a bit more hi end zing.

Any suggestions for anything that'll be about £300?

Some of the Ampegs seem to come into that bracket but I'm not sure what else there is.

Zing and sparkle is totally a tweeter thing. Four piezo tweeters glued together in a vertical array and plugged into your extension cab socket will give you that for about £10.

[url="http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=LS02367"]http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productd...jsp?SKU=LS02367[/url]

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='179700' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:04 PM']Zing and sparkle is totally a tweeter thing. Four piezo tweeters glued together in a vertical array and plugged into your extension cab socket will give you that for about £10.

[url="http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=LS02367"]http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productd...jsp?SKU=LS02367[/url]

Alex[/quote]

Thanks but there's no ext. speaker socket!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='179710' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:13 PM']Is there any way you can get a connection through to the amp output or to the woofer? They just need connecting in parallel to that, no crossover required.

Alex[/quote]

Alex - I know you know far more about these things than I but I just thought I'd point out that if the OP can get to the speaker out then the 4 tweeters should probably be wired in series with each other and it's often recommended (especially by Bill Fitzmaurice) to put a 4 ohm 25W resistor in series with them too. The whole lot is then put across the main driver.

Mike

[quote name='thinman' post='179719' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:22 PM']Alex - I know you know far more about these things than I but I just thought I'd point out that if the OP can get to the speaker out then the 4 tweeters should probably be wired in series with each other and it's often recommended (especially by Bill Fitzmaurice) to put a 4 ohm 25W resistor in series with them too. The whole lot is then put across the main driver.[/quote]

With this little power I think you could parallel all the piezos - their voltage limit is 25-30 volts which is about 100W - though series/parallel might match the woofer sensitivity better. The 4 or 8 ohm series resistor is a good suggestion to avoid ultrasonic oscillation.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='180090' date='Apr 18 2008, 07:47 PM']A learning opportunity?

Alex[/quote]

LOL - I suppose, but it's actually quite a scary thought and I'd need to get the tools starting with a soldering iron. I'll consider it though!

Would it be possible to exchange the driver for one with a concentric/coaxial 12" woofer and tweeter arrangement similar to the Eden N12?

Would this require specific knowledge of the circuitry and driver unit installed in the Electric Blue 130?

Sorry for all the questions.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='180334' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:47 AM']Trace Elliot combo might get the sound you want....[/quote]

Yeah - I used to have a BLX150SMC with a tweeter, I really wish I'd never traded that. The new TE stuff seems hard to find around Glasgow.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='180583' date='Apr 19 2008, 05:07 PM']TE used to do a "bright box" 5? tweeters in a thin enclosure. Might be worth looking for a second hand one?[/quote]

Yeah but wouldn't I then need to install a speaker out into the Electric Blue?

Mmmm, TE bright Box, lovely bit of kit.

I agree with several of the above posts, a Trace Combo would be a good call.

TBH, comparing an Eden and an Ashdown, the Ashdown is never going to compare, tweeters or not, IMHO. But a trace will come close at a much more affordale price, they are a little out of favour atm because they are quite bulky, so you should be able to bag a bargain second hand.

I'm now using my Ashdown with my SansAmp into the FX return so it sounds a lot better. I'll stick with that as I'm only using it in the house for now.

I've just seen a TE BLX150 like I used to have on eBay, but it's collection only from Wales :)