Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1958, NEW PRICE, Relic. £150 off!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339802397' post='1694854']
oh right, not what I read, in print and someplace on here, Bass Doc maybe? meh well the other thread says body wood makes no difference!
[/quote]

Lots of myth about the slabs, some people say it was a unique type of wood, others have stated overwound pickups, higher output pots, 'blue vein' finishes. There's no evidence to suggest any of that, none that I've read anyway. Barry's book on the subject also suggests, from the examples he's traced, that the components were regular '65/6 parts. Also, in the whole book, there's no reference to the blue veined finish at all, and the examples shown, and that I've seen vary from regular aged white, to the tele bass slightly transluscent blonde used a couple of years later.

No idea on the slab body specs. I owned mine (and Precision serial no 0189) before the days of the internet and had no idea of the rarity of it. It may well have been stock parts but something about it made it an extraordinary bass to record with. The sound was really full and even, if you understand what I mean.

I'd still own both if I knew now .............................. but then we've all been there.

Good luck with the build and you'll have a particularly stunning bass when it's finished. The other different thing (if original but sold as such) was the case. We're going back a bit but it was sort of black/white weave to look almost grey and had pockets either side of the neck as it lay in the case. Never seen one like it before or since.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1340055755' post='1698523']
No idea on the slab body specs. I owned mine (and Precision serial no 0189) before the days of the internet and had no idea of the rarity of it. It may well have been stock parts but something about it made it an extraordinary bass to record with. The sound was really full and even, if you understand what I mean.

I'd still own both if I knew now .............................. but then we've all been there.

Good luck with the build and you'll have a particularly stunning bass when it's finished. The other different thing (if original but sold as such) was the case. We're going back a bit but it was sort of black/white weave to look almost grey and had pockets either side of the neck as it lay in the case. Never seen one like it before or since.
[/quote]

thanks Steve, some pretty scarce basses you've owned there, hindsights a wonderful thing eh, if only we all had a bit of that!

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1340230680' post='1701618']
Bump for a splendid bass, better than a CS and designed with care.
[/quote]

and a good deal cheaper than another '58 copy for sale at the mo... and this one doesn't have sharpie on the back of the headstock! :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340230988' post='1701621']
and a good deal cheaper than another '58 copy for sale at the mo... and this one doesn't have sharpie on the back of the headstock! :D
[/quote]

....and mine has the right finish, and it has the correct raised pole pickups, and.....oh, never mind. :P

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1340276614' post='1702061']

....and mine has the right finish, and it has the correct raised pole pickups, and.....oh, never mind. :P
[/quote]

..and what? ;) It really is very beautiful bass, free bump from me :)

Edited by davidak

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340296764' post='1702522']
Ohhh...
Rick, would you take a ten-year-old boy and a forty eight-year-old woman with quite reasonable boobs as payment?
[/quote]
both of them have reasonable boobs? :o :huh: