Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1958, NEW PRICE, Relic. £150 off!!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1338928959' post='1681361']
Lovely looking bass. The sunburst is nice, too.

How does it play?
[/quote]

Thanks, that's why i selected this body, because the sunburst was exactly the correct shade, contrast etc, not as easy to find as you might think.

It plays very much like my real one, lovely smooth neck, light bass at 8lb, great response from the pickups (Raised A poles), it's a real vintage sound, very muddy, authentic tone. despite the fact its a maple neck, tone-wise, its very James Jameson'y (Or maybe it just needs new strings! :P ).

It's as authentic, both in looks, feel, [i]and[/i] sound, as you will get, without spending £10k+.

Where are you based?, if you're local...ish, and interested, pop in for a test drive, better bring some cash though, because once you see and play it, you won't wanna leave without it! B)

OK, last few days, then its either going on The Bay, or back in the rack, undecided. It's too good to sell any cheaper than I'm asking, in fact, compared with other comparable Fender stuff around the £700 mark,if anything, its underpriced, but no-one wants it, so needs must.

[quote name='AsterL' timestamp='1339703180' post='1693118']
Pretty amazing job you've done on this bass man! Sexy
Hope the someone who buys it really appreciates it.
I'm envious of them.

sidenote: can you wait until the end of the month until I get paid? :P
[/quote]

Which month? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words.

Even if it go's back in the rack, it will probably still be available, i'll just stop bumping it around!

Cheers

Further bump but mainly to ask after the 66 slab. I did actually own an original one of those and the recorded sound of it was immense, wonderful tone. I had heard that the pick-ups were different on those (whether that's true or not I don't know). Either way, I took the original out of mine when I passed it on and put it into my #1 bass (which has been my number 1 bass for about 27 years now).

Interesting in that it had a separate maple fingerboard and no skunk stripe.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1339771703' post='1694121']
Further bump but mainly to ask after the 66 slab. I did actually own an original one of those and the recorded sound of it was immense, wonderful tone. I had heard that the pick-ups were different on those (whether that's true or not I don't know). Either way, I took the original out of mine when I passed it on and put it into my #1 bass (which has been my number 1 bass for about 27 years now).

[/quote]

Thanks Steve,

Well, it's unlikely I'll find a real one for sale, so I've decided to make my own. I've already got great self-made/assembled versions of my '52, '56 & '58, so figured why not.

I'm slowly gathering the parts, although I'm very choosy about the authenticity of components. So far, i have a maple cap neck (Hardest thing ever to source!), original 6609 pots, wiring and jack(Had to be 6609), original '66 blackguard with shield (Apparently came off a slab, which is believable, otherwise it would have the thubrest holes above?), original '66 neckplate, original '66 tuners, original '66 string tree, original '66 bridge and saddles, original '66 chrome covers, original '66 thumbrest. I just need the body and the pickups. The body is the easy bit, albeit the pricey part. I was hoping to get one made in the UK, but looks impossible to my specs, so i will go to the US for that. Hoping to have it all completed by September, can't wait to start assembling it!!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1339771703' post='1694121']

[/quote]

By the way, pickups on those were normal '66. Lots of myths abound on these rare birds!! ;)

Once i have all the parts, I'll start a thread on the build section.

Rick.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1339774010' post='1694187']
Thanks Steve,

Well, it's unlikely I'll find a real one for sale, so I've decided to make my own. I've already got great self-made/assembled versions of my '52, '56 & '58, so figured why not.

I'm slowly gathering the parts, although I'm very choosy about the authenticity of components. So far, i have a maple cap neck (Hardest thing ever to source!), original 6609 pots, wiring and jack(Had to be 6609), original '66 blackguard with shield (Apparently came off a slab, which is believable, otherwise it would have the thubrest holes above?), original '66 neckplate, original '66 tuners, original '66 string tree, original '66 bridge and saddles, original '66 chrome covers, original '66 thumbrest. I just need the body and the pickups. The body is the easy bit, albeit the pricey part. I was hoping to get one made in the UK, but looks impossible to my specs, so i will go to the US for that. Hoping to have it all completed by September, can't wait to start assembling it!!
[/quote] ah! you're making one of the slab ones, cool? tulip wood? or was it magnolia? I'm surprised you can't find anyone in the UK who would make it for you, theres a couple of folk on here who make bodies.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339781494' post='1694367']
ah! you're making one of the slab ones, cool? tulip wood? or was it magnolia? I'm surprised you can't find anyone in the UK who would make it for you, theres a couple of folk on here who make bodies.
[/quote]

They were just ash bodied.

It's the relic work that's hard in the UK. apart from Clive Brown (Long waiting list), I haven't seen any work that is good enough for what I want, unless anyone knows different??

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1339790197' post='1694542']
They were just ash bodied.

It's the relic work that's hard in the UK. apart from Clive Brown (Long waiting list), I haven't seen any work that is good enough for what I want, unless anyone knows different??
[/quote]
oh right, not what I read, in print and someplace on here, Bass Doc maybe? meh well the other thread says body wood makes no difference!