Why become a member? ×

Who's got nice basses but gravitates towards a cheapy old friend?

leschirons

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1336470935' post='1645947']
You're all so bloody extravagant! My 4 string cost me £50, the 5 was £100, and the 6 was a whopping £250! :P
[/quote]
fifty pounds, you have fifty pounds, ooh you lucky thing, in my day we would have killed for a £50 bass, all we had was a cardboard box a rubber band and a jelly piece aw mam made us. you lucky so and so ((etc))

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1336468427' post='1645897']
. . . . . . . . . . . in fact I love playing a different bass every gig or practice.
[/quote]

I too like the variety of change, keeps our guitarist busy - he likes to let me know
which ones sound good and which ones don't.

As he doesn't know what they are or how much they cost, it is interesting to hear
his comments.
He has a very good ear for sounds and tones and will quite often give a big thumbs
up for something that wasn't much at all.
I have often felt it is what [i]you [/i]are comfortable with, feel and sound wise and not relative
to the cost of the instrument.

So, to keep on topic, I quite often feel a warm glow when something for not many $$$,
ticks all the boxes and gets the thumbs up.

The most surprising thumbs up from our guitarist. . . . . . .

A Crafter Cruiser, Ric shaped thing.
Active, nice to play, only bought it because it had a nice case :yarr:

These are £80 to £100 ish, most less than £80 and are a nice bass. . . . . Honest!!

Cheers. :)

I own a Bongo, a Stingray and a Lakland but I always take my Yamaha TRB to gigs these days - it cost next to nothing compared to the others.

That would probably be the one I'd be most upset about if something nasty happened to it. Having said that I left it at a gig on Sunday and our (extremely drunk by then) guitarist phoned me to tell me he was taking it home. So... I hope I still have it :( :(

Reading these replies, it seems I'm not alone. Maybe at last, I've grown out of GAS. Must be my age. Expensive gear is nice to ponder and own if possible but I get depressed when I think of how much I've spent over the years only to come back to my £150 comfort zone bass (weird that it's a six stringer!!)

I think it's partly the weight as it's very light, and has a great neck with no dive at all.

Give up the GAS, you know it makes sense.