Why become a member? ×

Gig advice

Jimryan

Well, it just hit me. This time next week I'll be gracing the stage at one of the local music pubs.

The big difference this time, is that I'll probably take my double bass. I've get loads of times over the years but only with an electric bass. I've only been playing double bass for a couple of weeks, but feel confident to use it live. Admittadly the bass is only a cheap Chinese one (yes, shame on me), but it's doing it's job of getting me used to it until I can afford a decent one.

Anyway, back to the matter. I've never gigged with a double before, any tips or advice that applies this time round in comparison to gigging soley with a bass guitar?

Many thanks

James

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1336085922' post='1640850']
Good luck! Be patient you are on a long arduous journey.
If you find you have a problem being heard don't try to overcompensate by "digging in" you'll have a lot of pain in the morning. Try and enjoy every note you play.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this, i use an electroharmonix headphone amp fed by one channel of a boss LS-2. No matter what the onstage volume level, I know I'll be able to hear all my intonation errors :unsure: :blink:

Drink lots of water to stop the painful arm/cramp stuff. Warm you wrist up beforehand and stretch your tendons by bending your wrist either way (if that makes sense) run your wrist under the hot air blower helps & don't over play/ play too hard especially if you can't hear yourself - must most of all enjoy it and bask in the extra attention!

as mentioned above don't over play or you'll knackered before you finish the first set.
i'm new to DB too, have done 3 gigs so far & thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
you may have some feedback issues,i do,but with a bit of eq'ing you should be fine.
it's a real blast,you'll love it but most importantly enjoy it.

Edited by artisan

I've always been more than happy not hearing myself - dont want to know how crap my intonation is.
Hit the root note if you loose things dont stop and dont grimace if you mess up - just pretend it is all going to plan! All works for me.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1336134112' post='1641366']
In particular, I love the EHX idea. I've never thought of using one of those amps as a little in ear monitor. I might just get one for other gigs too.
[/quote]

+1 I never leave for any gig (elec or upright) without my IEM's ;)

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1336167314' post='1642168']

Hit the root note if you loose things dont stop and dont grimace if you mess up - just pretend it is all going to plan! All works for me.
[/quote]

And then repeat the mistake, that way it looks like you meant it!! :)