Why become a member? ×

Taken the plunge!

stoker

I saved up for a summer for my first decent bass, a 79 Autumnglo 4001. Turned out to be more of a fender guy but i still have the Ric, it's mint and sounds and plays unreal. Just not my sound, and being accustomed to Fenders the ergonmics are not quite there.

Never had the slightest problem with the neck, either, which is exptrememly thin front to back and has not budged in over 30 years, even with huge variations in humidity, and Roto rounds on her. They built this one very well, no doubt and the woods must have been top notch.

They are kind of love them or hate them instruments, I can see why they are so polarizing. There are also some great copies out there but they are not Rickenbackers when all is said and done, and the ones that sound most like the real thing have become quite expensive anyways.

Sometimes there ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1362267488' post='1997883']
Well I'd try the Retrovibe Ricky type. That one with the two MM pickups is a killer bass - and damned cheap as well for the spec. But if you want the real thing - well keep on saving man.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I tried a SH one of those last week in my local music shop. It had an action so high you'd need a f***ing visa to get from the strings to the frets, and it still fretted out on the top five or six frets. It was truly abysmal.