Why become a member? ×

GK MBE 212 - Only £225 !

MarshallBTB

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1342536231' post='1736747']
No more news other than what I quoted above. :)

The NEO would probably come out slightly on top. They're braced so they'll give a tigter low end. They'll probably be about the same in volume though. Remember that the MBE is the budget range and the NEOs are GK's premium (though they're still pretty cheap, though you wouldn't guess it just from the cab) neodymium range.
[/quote]

Good stuff mate.
I think I'm still sold on the MBE, seems to offer ludicrous value for money and I love the new look too.
I reckon if they made a 1x12 MBE II cab they wouldn't be able to assemble them quick enough!

Cheers,
Eude

I've just gone for one of those GK MBE212 4ohms cabs - been glancing at them for months, but the shipment got delayed at least 2 times since they've been in stock.
I didn't really want to go this 'budget-way' - I wanted to go for a 2nd hand Tecamp 212 cab, which was for sale up here in BC, but tight funds forced me to choose this GK thing - I'm not expecting much sound-wise, but I hope that they're reliable tech-wise at least...

easy
L

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1342562594' post='1737240']
I've just gone for one of those GK MBE212 4ohms cabs - been glancing at them for months, but the shipment got delayed at least 2 times since they've been in stock.
I didn't really want to go this 'budget-way' - I wanted to go for a 2nd hand Tecamp 212 cab, which was for sale up here in BC, but tight funds forced me to choose this GK thing - I'm not expecting much sound-wise, but I hope that they're reliable tech-wise at least...

easy
L
[/quote]

You might be pleasantly surprised mate, for the complaints I've read on Talkbass, and only on Talkbass, there's plenty of people are amazed at what you get for the money! Don't forget, it the same drivers and components from the higher end GK stuff, just assembled in a different box, in a different country, if it's the v1 you're getting. GK wouldn't put out a product that they weren't completely happy with.

Keep us posted on how you get on mate :)

Eude

I've been using one of these now for the last few months and have been really pleased with it. Handles my six string really nicely and easily keeps up with a loud rock band. Have used it at both indoor and outdoor pub gigs and at a festival on a large stage with good results. Obviously there must be reasons for them to be at the price they are but so far I've not had any problems at all.

The sockets are wired in parallel. One goes to the speaker output of your amp, the other can be connected to another cab. Remember of course the change in impedance when you add another cab like this in parallel - total shouldnt be less than the min rating of your amp.
Cheers
Geoff

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1343132648' post='1745739']
Ok, so the MBE cab has arrived at my town - I still can't get to it till Thursday, but I'll let you know my first experiences first-thing !
L
[/quote]

One thing to watch is the grill, it kicks in pretty easy. I'm going to get a cover sorted for mine.

Edited by MarshallBTB

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1343161811' post='1746488']
Mine will be pulled apart after practise tonight, will put some photos up later!
[/quote]
Cool ... I was honestly really surprised at the difference this made to the sound. Have you given the cab a good knock? This was something I noticed before bracing my laney cab when I hit it with the bottom of my fist (not the knuckles) .. it sounded very hollow and quite a deep thud sound. Now braced and lined my cab sounds silent when you do the same.

It does sound hollow, I really noticed the hollow feeling the moment I picked it up to be honest. Although sound wise, I get what I want from it so I can't really complain too much! I get the feeling that if it took a tumble it may fall apart though.
I'm too knackerd to do anything tonight so will have to be tomorrow I'm afraid.
Depending how it looks tomorrow, I might have a go a doing the bracing/lining as it won't be needed for two weeks, plus it gives me something to do other than browse the net wondering what to waste my money on!

But, if GK use the same drivers for their 'higher range' NEO series cabinets, why the hell the NEO cab is nearly 8kg heaver than the MBE one? (I'm talking about 2x12 cabs)

I'd maybe would have pulled the trigger on NEO, but at 23kg's I don't consider it as a 'lightweight' cab anymore.

And what is that you mean by bracing the cab? Do you mean putting some acoustic material as a pad in the cab?

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1343169381' post='1746632']
It does sound hollow, I really noticed the hollow feeling the moment I picked it up to be honest. Although sound wise, I get what I want from it so I can't really complain too much!
[/quote]
I was perfectly happy with the sound from my Laney cab .. I was shocked when i opened it up to see NO dampening or bracing ... it's def. improved the clarity of the cab. I've not been looking at other cabs since, which isn't like me!
[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1343169636' post='1746636']
And what is that you mean by bracing the cab? Do you mean putting some acoustic material as a pad in the cab?
[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179802-i-finally-got-around-to-dampening-bracing-my-laney-cab/page__p__1714331__hl__bracing__fromsearch__1#entry1714331"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179802-i-finally-got-around-to-dampening-bracing-my-laney-cab/page__p__1714331__hl__bracing__fromsearch__1#entry1714331[/url] - That is what I mean by bracing / lining the cab. it looks a bit mental .. but it only took an hour or so and cost around £30.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1343170323' post='1746649']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179802-i-finally-got-around-to-dampening-bracing-my-laney-cab/page__p__1714331__hl__bracing__fromsearch__1#entry1714331"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1714331[/url] - That is what I mean by bracing / lining the cab. it looks a bit mental .. but it only took an hour or so and cost around £30.
[/quote]

Nice photo's, are the dowels just glued in?

Had a quick look, as expected not a lot going on inside these:
[attachment=114165:IMAG0169.jpg][attachment=114167:IMAG0170.jpg]
[attachment=114166:IMAG0173.jpg][attachment=114168:IMAG0175.jpg]

Still not sure if I'm going to bother changing it, it sounds great to my ears and thats the main thing isn't it...

I have stuck some rubber feet to it though, not sure I trust the plastic corners/feet.

As I guessed, at least it's braced front to back (slightly) .. I would honestly consider sticking in a few dowels horizontally on the biggest unsupported areas and a few more front to back and would definitely stick some wadding in there. I simply cut the dowels very tight (just measuring off the cab .. marking with a pencil and sawing by hand) and glued them in with some wood glue.
I was happy enough with my cab before however when a couple of cab builders tell you THE only reason you wouldn't brace and line a cab is purely down to cost saving (ok and possibly some weight saving) .. and you price what you need to be less than £30 and the additional weight is about a kilo it was a no brainer.
I'm really glad I did the mod it feels more solid when you move it about and the sound improvement is significant. Before it sounded great in the house but at volume with a band I was constantly rolling a little bottom end off and felt the need to boost my mids to cut through. Now my eq is pretty level and my smile is as large as it was in the music shop with the OBC115 :D

Yeah, I still remember Bob saying on a US forum that they were designed like that for the benefit of the sound. Even I'm skeptical of that. I'm not sure why he said it though, the amps are amazing value for money and I can't see the problem with them being honest about cutting costs by not bracing etc. If they were expensive amps then I'd expect excuses, but with them being so cheap for what you're getting, I don't see a problem with it.

Maybe they tried it for the benefit of cutting costs and were happy with the sound, I can't imagine it actually benefitting the sound in any way though.

i tried surfing 15 page long MBE bracing threads on Talkbass, and pretty much came out with nothing useful apart from few photos.
Although I heard that there are clear instructions (with pics?) on how to do that damn dampening/bracing thing?
I don't even know how to remove the front grill safely, not to mention doing something inside the cab....

The grille looks like it's screwed on from the side? .. so To remove the grille I would suggest removing the screws on the side of the cab. As far as bracing goes just buy some 25mm timber dowling (you can get this in wickes, b+q etc.)
1. Take the speaker out and using the part of the cab where the grille was you can measure the lenght the dowels need to be .. I'd measure it tight to the tolex and eye ball a little extra to allow for the thickness of the tolex.
2. Try sticking them inside the cab Prior to glueing. Once you have them sitting comfortably (and covering most of the largest blank panels of ply) I'd draw around the ends of them with a pencil and take them all out.
3. Stick a bit of wood glue on the cab where they are going to go and a bit on each end of each dowel as you are putting them in place.
4. Wait for the glue to dry! .. if you can and if you were doing them in two directions I would try sticking some of the dowels together also (it can only help).
5. Cut out squares of wadding the same size of the sides of your cab .. try putting them in, obviously you will need to cut a few slots for the dowels. Once you have them sitting against the panels take them out.
6. Spray the inside of the cab with adhesive .. I used carpet stuff.
7. Stick the wadding in .. re-connect the speaker, screw it back on, screw back on the speaker grille.
8. Try it out and smile accordingly.