Why become a member? ×

Your Basses - What do you love/hate about them?

Linus27

Fender mij Olympic white fretless jazz ... Love the way it feels so smooth and everything just fits perfectly , action a tad high ATM so need to sort that out and maybe some different pickups as not over impressed with standard ones

Antoria early 70s jazz ... Love the fact it's got history and a few knocks and scuffs along the way , neck is just amazing maple with black block inlay and binding , changing pickups as after more growl.

Ibanez roadstar 2 ... Had this since the 80s and it's a lovely old bass , super slim neck, lightweight , great sound , will never ever part with it , down side is it looks wise maybe a bit modern looking for my current band and tastes .

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1335961135' post='1638607']
[attachment=106725:003.JPG] - 1987 Veillette Citron - the best bass I own - this will be the last to go!! - [u]perfectly[/u] balanced - excellent range of tones - warm and kicking at the same time (this thread has inspired me to get this out of it's case later) - the most playable neck in the world - this feels sooo right - everybody who plays it falls in love with it!!
[/quote]

My friends dad has one (mid 80's I think) and it is one of the best basses I have ever played! He bought his in New York when he was touring with his band back in the 80's and is still using it today with his Chicago Blues band. He also has a guitar custom built for him about 18yrs ago and thats a belter too! Very hard instruments to find in the UK and Keith is the only guy I have ever seen play Veillette's. How did you pick this one up?

Warwick Streamer Stage One (1991) - lovely early one. I sold my first ever bass to buy a warwick of warwickhunt at a silly low price they were going for at the time. I half loved it and couldn't stand the tone. Eventually that went and I picked up my current one. A gumtree find, at a great price- another BCer got first dibs and gone round but it was too grubby for him- and the seller tried to add money onto the price. I had emailed and because I lived 500m or so I got second dibs. Yeah.
It has been played and is just so smooth and well fitting. It weighs nothing (under 8lb if I remember) and just sounds so nice acoustically.
Again plugged in the sound took some getting used to and for years there was almost a annual attempt to trade it for a passive jazz. Lucky no one took me up on the offer... and after a while a new amp opened up the tone a bit... and it became my number one bass- just so good to play. Last christmas a set of barts and a glock preamp came through the door. Well the barts were stunning but the glock soon got moved on.
It's actually sat naked with not controls for the last month or so. Tempted to stick a ACG preamp in there- bank balance may say stick the the original one but with the new blend pot I need. hmmm

Fender Squier JV P bass, first edition- what a bass. SD-01 p bas pickup. Feels perfect, sounds amazing so resonant. Sounds just like the P basses you hear on records. Dig in a a really growly sound emerges. Last year or so the wick has had moor play time but last week the P got played. I feel so lucky to have this bass.

[b]Kramer D-1 disciple[/b] - Pro's: Sounds great, EMG pup and Preamp give great tonal variety, asymmetrical neck is very comfy and fast, good balance. Cons : Can feel quite heavy and with a thin strap it'll KILL your shoulder. That's about all! Great workhorse. Fit/Finish : 10/10

[b]Tanglewood Funkmaster[/b] : Pro's: Lovely sound when it worked, 2 active soapbars, nice grain in the wood. Cons : Scratchy pots, wiring nightmare ( spaghetti junction - need to get it rewired, will post pics ) neck is quite thick and I have small enough hands. Fit/Finish : 7/10

[b]Vintage EST 96[/b] : Pro's : It'll look nice wen I finish painting it, nice neck, surprisingly fast for a Vintage. Cons: Action still quite high, dull sound from wilkinson pup (standard pup, may replace ) Fit/Finish: 6/10

[b]Fleabass Model 32[/b]: Pro's: Fun to play, very fast and smooth neck, funky sound, balanced. Cons: One tone and one volume knob means tonal variety is somewhat limited, standard pup, while sounds funky, could have more mids. No horror stories from me :) Fit/Finish (Very surprising) 8/10.

my basses..as defined by the ones I still own. Both J5's.

I still have them because I love them...and they are both very different but the same, if that makes sense,.
I like the variation of a theme that both compliment each other. I pick one over another on any given song depending what I am hearing at that point.

There is nothing I hate about them...that is why you sell basses !!! :lol:

Ok Here Goes!

NO-NAME JAZZBASS COPY (black with silver scratchplate (now with black Gaffa stripes....!)) - My first bass, bought from a girl at uni for a £150 with a hardcase! It is a good dependable starter bass that is easy to play and sounds very good at full chat! It has been a dependable bass for years. That said there is a kink at the neck at about 14-15th fret, so no playing above that (so no Alright Now!). The neck pickup pot has snapped off, but that is a minor problem as I don't really fiddle with settings when gigging! It doesn't get much playing these days, but it is not it's fault!

IBANEZ JTKB JETKING (Sunburst with white pickguards) - Bought from EvilBay for £150, virtually brand new (month old!) Became my main bass straight away, really like the look (sort of Jaguar/upsidedown T-Bird shape!) kinda retro, and you don't see many about. It sounds really good when gigging and is comfortable to play for long periods, despite the weight (but then the Jazz also weighs a ton (well a stone anyway), so am used to heavy axes!) Not really had many problems with it, the jack fell out and needed resoldering, but simple to fix, and the knobs seem to like dropping off.....! It not the most stable tuning wise, but that may just be the strings.....! Also not the easiest to play with my fingers (pickups don't provide much of a ledge for my thumb, but that is pretty minor as I usually just use a pick....!

EPIHPONE EXPLORER (black with white pickguard) - My newest bass, and it has now taken over as Gig-Master (although the JetKing stills comes along for for the ride as back up!) It sounds brilliant, looks awesome and always gets noticed at gigs, I have found it really easy to play and not noticed much neck dive (helped by a suede strap!) It is easy to play with a pick and fingers. If I had to pick a fault it can be a tad unweildy (singer keeps on impaling himself on the point on the bottom at gigs!) and got to be careful putting it on the stand as it sits at quite an angle and had to lunge across the stage to catch it toppling! (hence my other post....!)

Waffle over.....!