Why become a member? ×

Any Pink Floyd experts out there?

Cygnus x-1

Many years ago I recorded off the Tommy Vance Friday Rock show a cassette (remember them?) of Pink Floyd playing Dark side off the Moon from the early/mid 70's, bloody excellent it was IMO.

Can anybody remember this or knows what date /venue this was from?

I bought the 2011 remaster of DSOTM with the live version on disc 2 thinking this maybe the same show, now i'm not sure it is, anybody help?

cheers, Nick

I'm afraid I can't help, but on a similar subject (if you don't mind me piggy-backing your thread too)

- I'd love to track down the broadcast quality release of Pink Floyd, Live in Venice in 1989. It was originally shown as a TV broadcast - but i'd do anything to hear a stereo version that isn't all gnarly like my old videos were!

Maybe a Pink Floyd expert could help us out with both requests.

To answer the OP, the show (a performance from November 1974 at the Empire Pool, Wembley - 16th Nov I think) on the new DSOTM issue was broadcast on the Tommy Vance show. However on the disc it has been 'spruced up' a bit compared to the BBC broadcast. I had that broadcast on cassette for years (think I wore it out in the end).

Edited by jonsmith

1973 Earls Court, I was there & can probably dig out some more details, if I can get my brain to work again :D I have a bootleg, Tour 73 bought from Roger & Dave in the foyer! Those concerts were the first DSOM in full & where the recordings were made IIRC.

We had a coach *TRIP* from our local pub, about 50 of us went, can't remember quite how many came home :huh: but it was most excellent :happy:

Ahem

[url="http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-205755.html"]http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-205755.html[/url]

This is the one I heard on Tommy Vance show (I even remember him saying he was waiting for clearance to play Echoes from the same show) & this is the one that's on the new disc.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1335466603' post='1631753']
To answer the OP, the show (a performance from November 1974 at the Empire Pool, Wembley - 16th Nov I think) on the new DSOTM issue was broadcast on the Tommy Vance show. However on the disc it has been 'spruced up' a bit compared to the BBC broadcast. I had that broadcast on cassette for years [u][b](think I wore it out in the end).[/b][/u]
[/quote]
......exactly what happened to my recording, played it to death.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1335466603' post='1631753']
To answer the OP, the show (a performance from November 1974 at the Empire Pool, Wembley - 16th Nov I think) on the new DSOTM issue was broadcast on the Tommy Vance show. However on the disc it has been 'spruced up' a bit compared to the BBC broadcast. I had that broadcast on cassette for years (think I wore it out in the end).
[/quote]

I might have been there (not sure about which night I went - I think they did several in a row(?)). Great concert, but for me the highlight was Echoes rather than DSOTM. They also played a couple of tracks nobody had heard before off the forthcoming album - including Shine On You Crazy Diamond. :)