Why become a member? ×

Alabama Shakes

Chris Horton

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1335598449' post='1633496']
You do have to be careful with mushrooms .

If you have too many you fond have mushroom for anything else :)

Its bad i know ,I'm sorry , I just could not hold myself back :)
[/quote]

You're forgiven fellow Devonian :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1335617996' post='1633768']
Didnt see them on JH, but have just heard a track played on R2. I wanted to like it, but it didnt quite leap up and bite me. I think I'll have to reserve judgement until I hear some more..

Edit. It might have been 6Music not R2. I dont even know what I'm listening to half the time!
[/quote]

I listened to bits of the album online and must admit something seems to have got lost in the studio. It sounds a bit tame and lacking in energy compared to the live performances.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1335624215' post='1633886']

I listened to bits of the album online and must admit something seems to have got lost in the studio. It sounds a bit tame and lacking in energy compared to the live performances.
[/quote]

Ahhhhhh , don't say that , I've just ordered the cd :(

It was the live vibe that first attracted me to the band

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1335628226' post='1633971']
Ahhhhhh , don't say that , I've just ordered the cd :(

It was the live vibe that first attracted me to the band
[/quote]
I take it back, I'm wrong. I refer the honourable gentleman to the post below :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335629798' post='1634010']
I like the CD.
[/quote]

Only just caught up with the recorded later from last night. Wasn't all that impressed with them tbh but probably not quite my thing. Sounded like a (albeit tight) pub band with a better than usual singer. God knows what that dreadful racket Jack White inflicted on us first was though, more 'emporers new clothes' stuff from someone who still hasn't put out anything I really like. Norah Jones was quite good though.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1335637568' post='1634160']
Only just caught up with the recorded later from last night. Wasn't all that impressed with them tbh but probably not quite my thing. Sounded like a (albeit tight) pub band with a better than usual singer. God knows what that dreadful racket Jack White inflicted on us first was though, more 'emporers new clothes' stuff from someone who still hasn't put out anything I really like. Norah Jones was quite good though.
[/quote]

I agree with your thoughts on jack White , just not my thing really.
I did like the stuff he did with the racontures though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite into the album and like the fact it's not over produced, almost like an old garage band recording

Need more bands like this IMO

I'd guess their next album will be more in keeping with how most people want things

Edited by lojo

I saw them on Jools Holland and thought WOW,gritty soulful songs.But I'm afraid the CD leaves me cold.I admit I've only had a couple of listens so I'm going to let it(hopefully)grow on me.
Guitar played and bass player reminded me of Cropper and Dunn at their respective bests.

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1337184215' post='1656849']
I saw them on Jools Holland and thought WOW,gritty soulful songs.But I'm afraid the CD leaves me cold.I admit I've only had a couple of listens so I'm going to let it(hopefully)grow on me.
Guitar played and bass player reminded me of Cropper and Dunn at their respective bests.
[/quote]
And after another listen.............underwhelmed.
I fell asleep during the album.Not a good sign.IMO the album is poorly recorded(strange background noises,drums distorting,instruments either too high or too low in the mix).