Why become a member? ×

HK Audio Elias PX Sytems

bassintheface

Anyone got one, had one, used one etc?

Currently we run a passive speaker set up consisting of 1 x Adlib AA151 (mid high) and 2 x GAE BRN 15's (subs) per side.
Essentially, we stack the subs on top of each other with an Adlib on top on either side of the stage.
These are powered by 2 x Crown power amps, plus a digital crossover.
It sounds awesome!

We're finding though that this is a pretty bulky system to manhandle and generally transport around, not to mention store!!

Also, on many occasions, we arrive at a venue to find that we really only need to use 1 sub per side with the Adlib going on a stand instead and that the system we have is kind of too big!

For bigger gigs, we hire in a bigger JBL SRX system anyway.

We've been doing a bit of research and have been looking at the HK Elias PX system - pair of Active 12" mid highs on poles plus a pair of active 15" subs.
They seem to be ideal - no lugging around a heavy flightcase with amps and a crossover, the mid highs are physically smaller and easier to move and store than the Adlibs, the subs are on wheels, and we wouldn't need to store 4 x 15" subs!!

Has anyone got such as system, or experience of one? Are they as good as the reviews, do they have the headroom to manage reasonable sized rooms etc?

I'd appreciate any info - good or bad!!

In terms of what we run through the system - 4 x vocals, 2 x guitars, keys, bass, kick drum and an OH.
It'd also be used for ipod / laptop etc.
I appreciate that in a smaller venue, just using the mid highs, we wouldn't be putting bass or kick etc through the system!!

Cheers!!

We use them in a few places but can't be sure exactly which cabs and bins as they are hired in.
They are generally pretty good quality mid level stuff upwards and I'd buy it if we didn't already use Martin.
I am on the look out for decent subs and a [b]very [/b]decent pr of front monitors and they are definitely in the frame for that.

I have heard of a couple of returns through failure though, which nobody wants..and my mates bands run his rig with monitors
which can double as tops. I am not sure he is being prudent as anyone should be, or isn't that sure of the quality...??

I do not know which models he uses..will try and find out.. and/or whether HK have two sorts of lines..top level pro and a cheaper
line..? I suspect that might be the case...

I think we have used the ESYS rig and something like the Actor or Elias. I know we have used two models as they have upgraded from one to another HK rig and one is new this year.
All I can say is that my heart doesn't sink when I see an HK P.A provided on the basis of using either
I do like the seperation and power that can be achieved by HK bins and tops in a 500 capacity room. There is PLENTY there, for sure.

I must take more note of this stuff as I'll be interested in their floor monitors.

I have the original Actor series and only use two subs so it's exactly like the Elias in power,Like most HK stuff the vocals stand out really well in the mix and even with only 1600watts it's overkill for the venues we play, HK don't play the Wattage game like other manufacturers and if anything they sound a lot higher than quoted so it will play most places without breaking a sweat, Also the quality of sound is bang on the button,Lovely bit of kit.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1335098462' post='1625657']
I had a smaller HK system, 600 watts with a central sub and two satellites and found in the smaller venues we used to play the sub and drums vyed for the same space. Very nice sound however. No experience of their more powerful ( and quite expensive systems) however.
[/quote]

I bought this system off Yorks5stringer it's great for smaller venues, I can only imagine the larger more expensive systems would be great. If I could justify the outlay I would probably get one.

Thanks

Pete

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd upfdate this as I went back to the venue and we have used the house P.A Elias system which is 1600w on paper and a
QSC K rig with RCF 905 bins.
Just to throw a bit more into the mix... we have also demo'd the Elements at 1200w and we find that good in a pub which just needs a
bit of re-enforcment but is NOT adequate outside at all, IMO....not at that config ( 4 x 435, and 2x110 bins )
Will be keen to compare to a Nexo ..which will be outside as well,

The Elias runs out of steam for a 350 ppl venue and you are going to have to run big backline ( bass ) for a rock gig.
The QSC/RCF copes better but not in the league of EAW.
Is twice the cost, twice the gear/quality...?? Yes, in the case of EAW and its contempories, I'd say.

Would be interesting to hear what ppl who run this gear in venues and halls think, where the rider is DB tech, Nexo, Meyer etc.
Admittedly, the rider is used as much to scare off a few 'cowboys' as anything else but good gear is good gear.

To update where we are now:
We got rid of the Adlib / GAE rig and amps and bought a brand new set of the following JBL Active PRX:
2 x JBL PRX615 mid high packs
2 x JBL618 XLF Subs.

They're brilliant and plenty big enough for most of the gigs we do.
For any big stuff we either hire in a live array or there's a house system.
We've also gone for a Behringer x32 mixer - it's phenomenal; esp at the price!!